Planning for Home Tutoring

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
envcon

Planning for Home Tutoring

Post by envcon »

Hi All

I am new to this forum and am hoping someone can help me.

I am planning to home tutor for Wallington Girls and probably Non-Such (not quite decided on that one yet) and have a couple of questions:

Is the Wallington Girls Maths exam multiple choice? (I believe the VR is multiple choice)

What specific Maths books would anybody recommend. I have looked on the site and can see many different ones recommended, but I just don't know where to start. A good book for me to read and swot up on would also be very useful!

My daughter is starting Year 5 and I am trying to put together a bit of a timetable for tutoring during Year 5 -

Thanks in advance
tiffinboys

Re: Planning for Home Tutoring

Post by tiffinboys »

Some Wally Girls parent could better answer your queries. However, since your post is long unanswered, here is my take.

Verbal Reasoning: Multiple choice by GL
http://www.wallingtongirls.sutton.sch.u ... 07test.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maths: Looks like paper is standard format.
http://www.wallingtongirls.sutton.sch.u ... stions.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
envcon

Post by envcon »

Thanks a lot for your response.

If anybody could provide details on the best/recommended books for preparation that would be greatly appreciated,

thanks again
Scoopy19

Post by Scoopy19 »

DD1 did the test for Wallington Girls last year and passed. We did not use any special maths books at all but just did various past papers from other schools (mainly private). If your DD is working at a high maths level already in school and does fairly well in the practice past papers, this would be enough in my experience.

I went on the various websites of the private schools and downloaded some of their past papers (we also did the private tests and these helped for those exams too) - City of London Girls, Alleyns, Manchester Grammar etc.

For the VR we just did some time and technique work and then practice on parts of the GL Assessment practice papers 1 and 2 plus some other publishers. I left the GL ones until nearer the test.

Good luck.
Ringostar

Post by Ringostar »

We are not in Wallington area, but following may be helpful.

1. We used Bond Assessment books upto 5 (year 11).
2. Recently, we used past papers from independent schools (as mentioned above by scoopy) and also practice papers of Bond/GL.

If your child is doing well in maths at School, you would only need to see that they learn not to make 'silly errors'. More often marks are lost due to errors in simple arithmatics (+/-/x//) rather than difficult questions. We used to sit with DCs and try to see their thinking process when solving problems. More often, you could guide them to solve problem in better way, taking less time. This improves their thinking process and improves time management. In the begining DC used to finish the paper in time, but with many mistakes. Now with practice, similar papers takes much less time, with 90 to 100% accuracy.
ambergris

Post by ambergris »

Hi My daughter did Wally Girls last year and home tutored. We used Susan Daughtrey VR books for learning the techniques although If I remember rightly WG's exam only covered 21 techniques. The best practice papers were GL Assesment as they compile the VR exam for the school, be aware they some of the Letts Papers were identical to GL (perhaps a change in ownership in the company history).

For the maths print off the list from the school website and cover all those topics would definitely cover up to Y6 topics. In my daughters year they also threw in factorials. The advantages I found with home tutoring was by having reasonable materials I could pace the work and adapt it to balance against homework etc...

I would also say don't discount that they don't introduce an English Paper - new head is ex deputy from Nonsuch.

Definitely book in (nearer the time) for the mock exam at Sutton Grammar next year and make sure that she practices with the right type of answer paper i.e. Multiple choice for VR and write answers on paper for Maths. Finally photocopy them so you can do them again a few weeks later to see if she has learnt from the mistakes. Good luck and personally I found home tutoring suited us better than the majority of tutors that friends used - maybe my friends were just unlucky!

My daughter loves Wally Girls and feels it was worth the effort.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now