scores needed for Southend area - what is minimum!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
skenty

scores needed for Southend area - what is minimum!!!

Post by skenty »

scores - does anyone know what the absolute minimum score is for passing and being allocated SHSG for an in borough child?
First-timer

Re: scores needed for Southend area - what is minimum!!!

Post by First-timer »

303 is the magic number for in catchment Southend applicants. Below this mark no DC will be admitted on allocations day. There have been years where there have been lots of passing in catchment DC and the actual mark required moved upwards. As the catchment area has increased this year, it is possible that the mark required to get a place will be higher than 303.
Manana

Post by Manana »

skenty wrote:scores - does anyone know what the absolute minimum score is for passing and being allocated SHSG for an in borough child?

The pass mark has been a standardised score of 303 in recent years for those within the Southend priority catchment. Obviously this year they have massively widened the priority catchment so we don't know how that will affect things. The head of DS's school said this would mean a higher score would be needed as there will be a lot of children from Canvey, Rayleigh, Rochford etc who wouldn't previously have bothered taking it, will now apply and this will ultimately push up marks. Dr Bevan at the consortium meeting said it wouldn't push the marks up at all but I don't believe him ;)
moved

Post by moved »

The Rayleigh children are also in catchment for the Chelmsford schools. These may have a lower passmark so some Rayleigh children may choose Chelmsford over Southend.

You will receive advice with your result.
skenty

Post by skenty »

was hoping someone may have a cheery story about really low raw scores but still got 303...lol Would be interested if anyone knew of someone achieving 303 and what their raw scores were. Trying to keep positive but feeling a bit low
moved

Post by moved »

I do know of a girl who now attends SHSG. She scored 303 and her averages were about 50%, perhaps slightly over. She is now in yr10 so I cannot remember the exact numbers.
skenty

Post by skenty »

Thanks , I'm hoping my DD may have scored highly in the English and reasonably in the Maths which would mean she could just scrape with a lower VR %. She didn't finish the paper but feels she may have got about 50%
moved

Post by moved »

A child came in the 30s for KEGS having got 58 in the VR. Obviously both English and maths were very high.

Don't panic, be pleased you get the results in three weeks.
Manana

Post by Manana »

moved wrote:The Rayleigh children are also in catchment for the Chelmsford schools. These may have a lower passmark so some Rayleigh children may choose Chelmsford over Southend.

You will receive advice with your result.

That's interesting-would the Chelmsford grammars be closer to Rayleigh than the Southend ones? Would the Chelmsford ones have a lower score then; I thought it was a super selective?
ahap

Post by ahap »

Chelmsford now gives priority to locals which is similar to the Southend schools which will be taking 80% in catchment of 12.5mile radius and 20% out of catchment.
Last edited by ahap on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now