Maths papers....topics not on KS2

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yoyo123

Maths papers....topics not on KS2

Post by yoyo123 »

I know that in the past teh kent test has included topics not normally included in numeracy strategy at KS2.

Are there any I should be particulalry targetting?

I had heard that algebra crops up,

any views?
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

You are quite correct and algebra is one of the key issues. Our tutor also mentioned that that some of the questions were definitely more KS3, so quite often taught at this level.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Thanks for that!

So algebra it is then, oh joy!!!
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

It's a subject that I never quite got the hang of. Unfortunately, I may have passed this trait on to my son, as it hasn't, so far, come easy to him. It's not surprising as they hardly seem to cover it in KS2. However, as the paper is multiple choice, giving a choice of 5 answers, if he wasn't confident of the answer, he would just try each suggested answer in the equation to see what worked. However, I'm not suggesting anyone else do this, it just worked for him and he was fast enough at doing it this way.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

algebra is sort of skirted in primary.

look at it as a sort of puzzle, in primary they tend to have a box for teh missing number
eg 3+ [] =7

the choildrena re quite familiar with this by juniors, so the transition to
3+x =7 shouldn't be too bad.

Ther eare some really good algebra games on the net.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

If only the 11+ ones were as simple as that example! You could be lucky and get quite a straightforward one but I'd say that generally they are quite challenging. Thankfully that was our only 'grey' area and you usually only get one algebra question. The website sounds good though - will have to try it with the next one......
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'll post the links when I get a chance. Lots of practice but in a different format!

I'm not too bad on the algebra, just knowing how deep to go. My 2 took teh kent test some time ago, (they are now 18 and 14, my daughter has just finished A levels and AEAs) I'm tutoring someone now in year 5 , mainly with the english, NV and VR. Maths is his strongest subject, but it's teh "little bit extra" I am trying to get across, also speed combined with accuracy!

Any tips would be welcome, my struggles with my 2 have faded with time..
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

I would say that the NFER Nelson test papers on maths will show you how deep to go. The algebra on those is very much in line with the Kent test. Good luck with the tutoring - I think most boys need help with speed and accuracy - or just reading the question properly!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now