Starting DIY and / or Tutor Campaign

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
YourLifeSuccess YLS

Starting DIY and / or Tutor Campaign

Post by YourLifeSuccess YLS »

Hi!

I'm new here. I thought I start a new thread for those parents like me who are preparing their child for entry in 2014. This is a great website and forum. I've seen some very generous tips and advice . I live in Kingston and just want to have good supportive discussion and chat here.

For a start, does anyone have more on the proposed change in Tiffin School's (Boys) exam / tests?

Thanks.

YLS
Last edited by YourLifeSuccess YLS on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
YourLifeSuccess YLS

Re: Anyone Started DIY and / or Tutor Campaign for 2015?

I think this post by Jaysdarlin could give this thread a kick start! I don't know if I should be glad or panic, lol. He / she already succeeded in putting two sons in Tiffin.

Sorry Jaysdarlin for this blatant attempt to ride on your celebrity status! :-) Hope you don't mind me re-posting this here, if you do, please tell me and I will remove. I do have have a schedule, but I am not brave enough to post it here, not at the moment anyway! But briefly its in 3 phases - Phase 1 (in Year 3), Phase 2 (This year Y4) and then I'm planning a more relaxed and full of fun Phase 3 for next year (Year 5).

-------------
Jaysdarlin wrote:Okay folks, think me not crazy. [ No I don't think you are crazy, a bit scary for me maybe, but not crazy! :-) ] My son has just gone into Year 4, he is my ds3. My other two sons are at Tiffin, and those who know me on this site should know by know that I am prone to panicking and forgetting dates.

So. I am going to start another year early! Last year I started at the beginning of year 5. This time, Im starting in year 4, to avoid repetitions of previous disasters.

I dont want to alarm anyone, we wont be touching any papers. But we will be doing all our ground work.

So, thinking and typing out loud, here's a rough timetable we will be following. This has been taken from a previous post (viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10889&hilit=2010&start=30) it's what I did with ds2.

Weekly Plan:

Mon-Fri

1) Category Cards = 3 (I have made picture category cards for every category imaginable, (vehicles, birds, cats, cooking utensils, tools, musical instruments, etc) and for example, the 'Tree' card has pictures of all the types of trees we have ever come across) and we use these games to play memory games.
2) First Aid Pages = 2
3) Writing, once a week
4) Reading to mum (electronic dictionary at hand, ruler to underline unknown words and pen to write definition in the margin, plus notepad to make a list of words for new flashcards)
5) Bonds Maths papers

Weekend:

1) Flash Cards = 14 new cards and testing previous cards
2) Times Tables, once a week (15 minute drill)
3) Mental Arithmetic once a week.(15 minute drill)
4) Reading to mum

(If anyone would like the flash cards or worksheets I have prepared, please email me)

I am planning to do a session a day, and two sessions on Weekends, which will include any homework from school. I think if I do this for the whole year, it will give him a good base for year 5.

Anyone else around? Who knows if there will even be an 11+ for Tiffin in 2014!
yoyo123

Re: Starting DIY and / or Tutor Campaign

Post by yoyo123 »

YLS , I've put jaysdarlin's post in a quote box. It will help it to stand out
yoyo
mod
YourLifeSuccess YLS

Thank you YoYo. Good idea.

Just posting useful links; (Thanks to Tifinboys who has been posting these elsewhere)

Kingston - Which Secondary School 2013-14

http://www.kingston.gov.uk/secbook2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Online applications;

https://www.eadmissions.org.uk/eAdmissions/app" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
YourLifeSuccess YLS

Order of Preference

I was wondering about this last year - the answer (this would be very basic for most parents here, but not for some who are just starting the leg work ). I thought I post it;
You should think carefully about your order of preference when you decide how to list the
schools you are applying for on your application form. This is because if your child
qualifies for a place at a number of schools you will only be made one offer of the school
which you named as a higher preference.

If you wish to apply to selective schools your child will not be offered a place at a selective
school, regardless of how well he/she performs in the tests, if they have also qualified for a
school that you list as a higher preference on your application form. If you are applying to
more than one selective school, you should list the schools in the order that you prefer
them.
Taken from - http://www.kingston.gov.uk/secbook2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

YLS - I think you will find that much of this is already on the forum in the "schools" section http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - it has been put there to save it clogging up various threads each year! Quite a bit of effort is expended in checking that the info is up to date, however if you do find something that needs updating then please let us know.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

YLS, following post from Patricia is very useful.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=30178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you will find it useful.

In few days, I will post about our experience with 11plus preparation. This forum has been extremely valuable and if you have time and find time to read old posts (be warned, it's quite addictive), you will gain invaluable information and insight for this journey.

I would say that at this early stage, your DC need to concentrate more on English reading, comprehension and building up strong vocabulary; together with strong mental maths skills. It's too early to embark on VR/NVR books. It would be better to spend time on puzzles (word searches, cross word, spot the differences etc).
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
YourLifeSuccess YLS

tiffinboys wrote:YLS, following post from Patricia is very useful.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=30178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you will find it useful.

In few days, I will post about our experience with 11plus preparation....
Thank you very much Tiffinboys - very good advice, thank you. All the best to your son in the morning, do tell us about the preparation once you son is done with the exams.

I did post a question in your other thread - I might post it here instead.

Thanks again.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now