Open days/ evenings... Glad when it's over.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lottie78

Open days/ evenings... Glad when it's over.

Post by lottie78 »

Hi all,
Well we have spent the last trailing around potential schools,
4 gs and 3 local secondary.
I was beginning to know how cattle feel been herded from one pace to another.
We have one local school left, which tbh will be the most likely in Ds doesn't gain a gs place. I can't say I'm thrilled by the idea as it's not brilliant just hoping that Ds is one of the ones that does do well!!
After speaking to local admissions they have said to put another preferred school( much better results) over the closest one as we are borderline distance wise.
It won't hurt to try.
I have felt awful dragging Ds around to all of the lovely schools he probably won't get into. The infuriating thing is Ds s main anti 11 plus reason was that he didn't want to leave his friends, now he has decided to put down a different local secondary that barely anyone he knows is applying to !
I wish he'd had this attitude leading up to the 11 plus it would have saved many a meltdown.
I have to say that the difference in Ds s confidence is noticeable , all of the 11 plus prep has really helped he is really enjoying the start of year 6 ad keeps saying he can't wait to go in to year 7.
We will be away when results come out so will have to get someone to collect post and let us know the result..... Not long now
sss

Re: Open days/ evenings... Glad when it's over.

Post by sss »

Been to see all the GS now & we have to admit the most impressive was KEFW. This school wasn't initially one of our preferred choices but to be honest we will now be putting it at the top of the preference form. The teachers, children, facilities, speech etc were all excellent.
Don't get me wrong, all the GS are great but KEFW really won us over. :)
Not long to go now.........
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

Hello, is KEFW a mixed school?
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Hello, is KEFW a mixed school?
Yes
MSD

Post by MSD »

At this point in time we don't really know what the results will bring for us. But how would you rate Five ways against Camp Hill boys. Academically CH seems far superior looking at the past results and they seem to sending a larger proportion of boys to Oxbridge. Almost 20% this year.

However, for us, there are no feasible green bus routes available to CH but there is one to FW. It has also been suggested that as compared to FW the boys and parents at CH can be a bit extreme and it is quite easy for a average ability boy to lose his confidence when they start in Year 7.

MSD
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

It has also been suggested that as compared to FW the boys and parents at CH can be a bit extreme
:shock:

As a CH parent I don't consider myself extreme, nor are other parents I have met.

My DS is in Yr 8 and I must admit that the academic standard is very high and he was slightly daunted at times last year. I don't know if it would be any different at FW though.

I am sure they are both fantastic schools. My advice would be go for the easiest journey.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Thanks DenDe!

I hope I haven't offended any CH parents. I personally don't agree with the extreme remark but it has cropped a few times during discussions with other parents.

MSD
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

MSD wrote:Thanks DenDe!

I hope I haven't offended any CH parents. I personally don't agree with the extreme remark but it has cropped a few times during discussions with other parents.

MSD
I can imagine what they mean :lol: you get some parents like that at just about any school - danger is if they start hunting in packs and taking over everything!

I agree with DD - both good schools but on a cold winter evening the shorter easier journey can make all the difference
MSD

Post by MSD »

Thanks Hermanmunster.

Are there any parents on this forum with children travelling to CH boys from Wolverhampton? How do they get there?

MSD
sss

Post by sss »

I quite undertstand what you mean by the word 'extreme.'
Last year I know that 3 girls that got between 270& 276. There is a significant difference between the pass mark of 225 for CHG & 276. A clever child in a junior school can soon feel 'average' in a super-selective school like CHG.
Having been to KEFW recently, we are veering towards FW as it just seems less 'pressurised' than CHG (plus our dd liked FW very much).
I know it's horses for courses but KEFW won us over by a country mile.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now