scores on the doors - examples

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
skenty

scores on the doors - examples

Post by skenty »

Hi , still feeling flat. In previous years people have posted raw and standardised scores and what school they were offered. I'm not being nosey but would be especially interested in DC's that had a ss of around 303 - want to gauge what you can get and still receive a "pass" mark... :?
Araucana

Re: scores on the doors - examples

Post by Araucana »

skenty wrote:Hi , still feeling flat. In previous years people have posted raw and standardised scores and what school they were offered. I'm not being nosey but would be especially interested in DC's that had a ss of around 303 - want to gauge what you can get and still receive a "pass" mark... :?
You won't know what schools and any placings until next year. Not sure what will be given in a few weeks time - have heard rumours that it will be on the lines of "your child is a) likely b) unlikely c) stands a chance ... of gaining a GS place. Would be glad if someone could enlighten me as to whether you get standardised scores - I'm presuming they will have to tell you the mark in each paper and therefore the standardised score!

Not our turn until next year but desperately want to see how all the changes alter marks and places this year.
skenty

Post by skenty »

Hi , I think you may get a score as they will have your child's score to know if it is a pass or fail. I don't think we'll get a ranking though. I just hoped someone may give me an idea of what their child scored in a previous year and pass/ raw scores etc...

Regards
Skenty
anxiousma

Post by anxiousma »

So if the mark is 303 and yes we all know this varies year on year goes up down round etc but if the mark was 303 what percentage did that child get in each exam? I think that is the actual question being asked and I would love to know too! I do not understand raw scores and calculations so could anyone just enlighten us??
skenty

Post by skenty »

you can work out % by looking raw scores to an extent (I think) i.e. 40 /80 raw score would be 50% etc.. as to how they reach the standardised score I have no idea. I know it is 50% VR / 25% Maths and English but no more than that. I have no idea what information we get on the 15th - I'm hoping we get a "likely to get a grammar place" type comment and the standardised score at least
Manana

Post by Manana »

skenty wrote:you can work out % by looking raw scores to an extent (I think) i.e. 40 /80 raw score would be 50% etc.. as to how they reach the standardised score I have no idea. I know it is 50% VR / 25% Maths and English but no more than that. I have no idea what information we get on the 15th - I'm hoping we get a "likely to get a grammar place" type comment and the standardised score at least

I reckon we'll get the scores for each paper and a standardised score, plus a sentence saying likely/unlikely/definite fail.

There can't be an absolute certainty as to the pass mark because surely the pass marks will be be different for each school and be dependent on how many applicants there are for each?
ahap

Post by ahap »

For example: A child's score could be
English 25/50
Maths 30/40
VR 65/80

Percentage
English 50%
Maths 75%
VR 81%

50+75+81+81=287/4=72%

However there will be many students who would get the same percentage and that's where the standardised score helps.

My DS's av. percentage were equal to many others who got in to a GS from out of catchment but due to his lower standardised mark he was lower. He scored less in English and more in Maths and VR. The ones whose scores were high in English got a higher standardised score therefore they got in first. His av. percentage was 60.6% and his standardised score is 315.17 out of catchment for SHSB. So the last few DCs who got in would have got the same percentage but a bit more higher standardised score. So it all depends on how many found difficult and how difficult the papers were.

The Southend in catchment standardised score's av. percentage could differ from year to year...from my little research on this forum it is between 50-55% for 303.

Perhaps aang could clarify it more.
Last edited by ahap on Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Manana

Post by Manana »

About 55% has previously been enough to get Southend in-catchment children a place at WHS and SHS, but I suppose the big question this year is what will it be bumped up to with the changes in catchment? 58%? 60%? 65? 70%?
ahap

Post by ahap »

It could be the same or a bit higher because I read a post which mentioned that once SHSB raised its standardised score for in catchment DCs to 313. I think it was Moved's post.
Perhaps 313 could be 56%?
Last edited by ahap on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
aang

Post by aang »

Looking at percentage scores in respective papers is pretty much pointless imho.

A pupil could score 30/50=60% in a difficult paper where the mean score was 50% and after standardisation finds themselves amongst the top 5% in that subject and after standardising would translate to 125 (100 being mean). Likewise an absolute score of 75% could be a bad score if the mean was 80% (generally speaking maths paper scores tend to be higher than the others). A score of 303, (by my maths which could well be wrong), translates to roughly being in the top 40% by RANK in each of the three papers. If your child is worse in one paper, then they need to catch up the relative gap in the other papers.

If your child is good in a particular subject, then you would prefer the paper to be more difficult to differentiate from other pupils. For example, if a paper was set at KS1 standard then pretty much all the scores would be between 90-100% and you would be hard pressed to tell who were the more able students as opposed to careless ones. This is why the norm is to set papers closer to KS3 standards so that there is greater differentiation.

At this stage, I would advise to forget about the 11+ for three weeks and just wait for the results letter. Speculating on scores, results information given or not given, impact of catchment areas etc may help alcohol sales but not much else ;-)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now