GL Pack 2 VR Scores

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manny0311

GL Pack 2 VR Scores

Post by Manny0311 »

DS found these quite hard. Just completed last paper today and with a tricky Z on football teams which I don't like one bit.
Looking at the average of the 4 papers 70,72,76,71 gives me 72 ish
Pack 1 he has been extremely comfortable with, scoring over 75 on each one
I feel very touch and go about it all and just confused at the best of times ..

Would be good to hear how you are all getting on with these ?
Manny0311

Re: GL Pack 2 VR Scores

Post by Manny0311 »

I was hoping for a more positive response out there, so I'll ask again ??
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I remember reading reports on here that Pack 2 is significantly tougher than Pack 1, and more difficult than the actual test. Sounds as though your DS's scores are pretty good, if that's the case. I haven't used them though, as I'm concerned about discouraging children at this late stage if they feel they haven't scored highly enough. I avoid Walsh for the same reason. Have you tried Bright Sparks by Susan Daughtrey? Those papers are supposed to be very close to the standard of the real papers (though personally I think they might be slightly more difficult).
Marylou
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

DS found the GL pack 2 much harder than Pack 1. He was getting 65% - 75% on pack 2, he always skipped the type Z questions and came back to them at the end if he had time.

He sat the 11+ on Saturday and said that it was much easier than the GL papers, so hopefully we will see a good result in 3 weeks time

He found the IPS papers very easy, and was getting 85 - 90%. In order to keep up his confidence we mixed GL and IPS papers. I believe that it is really useful for DC to do more challenging papers, rather than facing a tough paper for the first time when they sit the exam
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hope you get the result you want Mattsurf. I hope we don't work the hours you worked as my children are awkward as anything! But just to say well done as you get so many self-righteous people on here who make you feel that it is it the same as (or worse than) beating your children.

I just know that half the people round here who claim not to be "pushy parents", and that children should just develop at their own pace, are driving them 10 miles each way to Kumon and doing maths before breakfast everyday from the age of 5.
bravado

Post by bravado »

mystery wrote:Hope you get the result you want Mattsurf. I hope we don't work the hours you worked as my children are awkward as anything! But just to say well done as you get so many self-righteous people on here who make you feel that it is it the same as (or worse than) beating your children.

I just know that half the people round here who claim not to be "pushy parents", and that children should just develop at their own pace, are driving them 10 miles each way to Kumon and doing maths before breakfast everyday from the age of 5.
Mystery - you've made me laugh so much :lol: :lol: I truly thank you :D
Manny0311

Post by Manny0311 »

mystery wrote:Hope you get the result you want Mattsurf. I hope we don't work the hours you worked as my children are awkward as anything! But just to say well done as you get so many self-righteous people on here who make you feel that it is it the same as (or worse than) beating your children.

Peronsally I feel they should be encouraged to the max and there is no harm in being a little "pushy" - They only only get one crack of the whip at it and should be given every opportunity. And Kumon is in my opinion an excellent foundation for maths and certainly is a big advantage toward the 11+
mystery

Post by mystery »

I'm really sorry I posted my comment above in the wrong place! I'm losing track now of where I wanted to post it though. Sorry I was no help to the OP in answering questions.

And yes I think Kumon can be a very good idea too. I just wonder how many people drive to a different town to do it in order not to be spotted.
Manny0311

Post by Manny0311 »

mystery wrote:I'm really sorry I posted my comment above in the wrong place! I'm losing track now of where I wanted to post it though. Sorry I was no help to the OP in answering questions.

And yes I think Kumon can be a very good idea too. I just wonder how many people drive to a different town to do it in order not to be spotted.
Mystery

Why should people have to do that???? thats strange..

We go to alocal centre where some of DS's friends go to from hi school...not a big deal ?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Manny0311 wrote:Why should people have to do that???? thats strange..
Total mystery to me as well, Manny. I've heard that some parents are totally paranoid about others finding out about how they are preparing their children for 11+, but I can't say I've ever come across any like that, so either they don't exist or they are keeping up the subterfuge extremely well! :lol:

We just do our own thing as regards 11+ prep. We have to be proactive as we are not in an 11+ region, but we don't see any need to be secretive about it - if anyone doesn't like it then it's their problem not ours. We do get a lot of people asking us about the process, though - and it's nice to be able to dispel a few of the myths and legends. :roll:
Marylou