School Adjudicator - Recent rulings

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mitasol

School Adjudicator - Recent rulings

Post by mitasol »

The school adjudicator reports are now online http://www.education.gov.uk/schoolsadju ... s/database" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OSA Decision 14 September 2012

ADA2310: Sutton Grammer School
ADA2311: Latymer Grammar School
ADA2313: Wallington Grammar School
ADA2312: Tiffin Girls School
tiffinboys

Re: School Adjudicator - Recent rulings

Post by tiffinboys »

Just quickly went through these decisions.

1. Tiffin Girls and Sutton Grammar made changes in admission arrangements without required consultation. Remedy offered: None. Wonder how is this possible?

2. I can't imagine if objectors were only objecting to get scores of first part of the entrance tests. Seems Adjudicator contradicting at some places.

3. Pass/fail format is acceptable to Adjudicator.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Would love to hear from the objectors. There appears to be contradictions between these decisions and 2 other decisions on the similar issues. Is there no coordination between the adjudicators.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
tensedmum

Post by tensedmum »

Hmm, new developments... So what would be the outcome of all this process? Is there anything to worry? DD is taking the 1st round test on Thursday. Any inputs would be helpful.

Thanks
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

The first and second tests will go ahead as planned.
tensedmum

Post by tensedmum »

Thanks for the quick reply
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

This is the conclusion - the only changes are to "Looked After Children" and SEN children (of which I doubt they have any):

Conclusion

44. I have set out in paragraphs 22 – 35 my reasons for concluding that

(i) the introduction of two-stage selection testing by the school has been a reasonable step which it has taken to allow it to inform parents of the outcome of selection testing prior to 31 October; and

(ii) that the outcome of selection testing which the Code requires such schools to make every effort to provide to parents prior to 31 October can include the results of the first stage of testing, but does not have to. The school does provide this information to applicants.

I therefore do not uphold the objections which have been made on these grounds concerning the admission arrangements of the schools.

2. Paragraph 39 above sets out why I am of the view that the consultation carried out by the school on proposed changes to its admission arrangements for September 2013 was inadequate.

I therefore uphold the objection which has been made on this matter concerning the admission arrangements of the school.

45. The objector has invited me to rule that changes to the admission arrangements made without appropriate prior consultation “are not valid” and should be removed. That is something which I have no power to do.

47. Paragraph 42 explains why I believe that the admission arrangements of the school are unclear concerning the admission of looked after children and previously looked after children. I have indicated there how I believe the arrangements could be changed to make them compliant with the Code.

48. I have explained in paragraph 43 why I have concluded that the admission arrangements of the school do not conform with the requirements of the Code concerning the admission to the school of children who have a statement of special educational need in which it is named. The arrangements could be made compliant by the removal of what amount to conditions placed on the admission of these children.

48. The Code (paragraph 3.1) requires admission authorities to make necessary changes as quickly as possible, and it is now for them to do so.
Alex

Post by Alex »

48. The Code (paragraph 3.1) requires admission authorities to make necessary changes as quickly as possible, and it is now for them to do so.
Under the previous Code the Adjudicator could amend the arrangements him/herself. The 2012 School Admissions Code (3.1) says:

".....The admission authority must, where necessary, revise their admission arrangements as quickly as possible, but no later than 15 April following the decision (i.e. the deadline for determination of admission arrangements), to give effect to the Adjudicator's decision. An Adjudicator's decion is binding and enforceable"
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

Admission arrangements for children with SEN is an important point to clarify and I disagree that there wouldn't be any who would apply and require this protection.
A child can be statemented for a physical, emotional, behavioural as well as educational need (although the need would have to be at a significant level).
A statemented child need only score the minimum pass mark not the cut-off score to be automatically granted a place at grammar school. A child with a physical disability (for example) where Tiffins is the most suitable school for them to attend, needs protection in the admission arrangements to ensure, if they reach the minimum pass mark, they will be admitted even if their score is some below the eventual cut-off for other children without a statement. The school are obliged to do this and not place any conditions on such children.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Last edited by suzanne on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now