Tips for improving speed / focus?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gatleymum

Tips for improving speed / focus?

Post by gatleymum »

Well, DD sat her first set of exams on the 15th, and we have another 2 weeks until the other one.

The biggest issue (as far as I can tell!) was speed in NVR - she only completed 75% of the paper.

She can generally do the questions, and, when we were practising, the problem appeared to be that she found the code questions so boring, she lost focus on the task - I hoped that in the actual exam this would not be a problem as her desire to pass seems pretty strong. If she is actually thinking about the question, she can do if fairly quickly, it is all the time wasted between the bouts of thinking, plus the desire to be 100% sure (I think).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can work on the speed/focus? It seems to be a general problem at school as well - she achieved level 5a/b for everything in yr5, but "works too slowly" according to the last report..
nicolajane1971

Re: Tips for improving speed / focus?

Post by nicolajane1971 »

Hiya,

I guess you could go back to basics, make sure she is looking at useful information only rather than at everything.

Good luck.
peter doe

Re: Tips for improving speed / focus?

Post by peter doe »

I improved comprehension speed by letting them doing it in half the prescribed time ,then quarter then even faster then as fast as they can.I saw massive improvements in just one week .
I have a good website for comprehension that I would like to share,don't think I can post it here though .You can send me a message if you want it.
Children like challenges especially when it's fun so what I do is also compete with them .