Relieved or horrified?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
RachelM

Relieved or horrified?

Post by RachelM »

Signed up to forum today. Daughter just started Y5 and starting to get into 11+ mode. I have been downloading test papers and finding decent sites for online tests when I came across this.

Not sure if I am relieved I have found it or horrified that the whole process requires such an outlet/place for info & advice.

I am still struggling with the question whether it is better to be at the bottom in a Grammar (and get stretched, maybe struggle a bit) or at the top at non Grammar (and possibly languish or shine easily). Anyway, got to give her the best chance.

Anyway this is where it starts...............
72Northern

Re: Relieved or horrified?

Post by 72Northern »

Having lived through it last year with DS and have DD in Year 5 this year, I would recommend approaching the process in reverse than most who say visit all the Grammars this year to decide where you aim to go to.

Visits the non-selective schools this year on their open days, contrary to some opinions there are good schools out there that are not selective rather than the other way round.

My DS missed the 11+ by 2 marks after teachers predicting that he would pass and also the school appealing the score to Bexley - still no joy. He left school across the board with level 5/6's and would have settled no problem - alas not to be.

He has gone on to find a great non selective school which had we have considered beforehand we would have decided to send him to over taking the selection test for a Grammar School as its right up his street.

One Headteacher in a Bexley non selective summed it up by saying that it’s not about where you start from in secondary school it’s about where you finish - the finishing line is the same for all kids no matter where they attend. They spend a significant amount of time having to re-build the confidence of really bright kids who fail the 11+ as they are conditioned to think that all other options are inferior and they are not going to achieve anything as they failed the test taken at such a young age.

Listen to your instinct and do what you think is right for your child - if you believe that to be Grammar then go for it and practice, practice and get a tutor as a lot of children start as early as Yr4 prepping for the tests. Also speak to your teacher to see if your school have any information/papers that they can assist you with.

PM me if you need more advice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now