Bushey Academy

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nearly over

Bushey Academy

Post by Nearly over »

If anyone has first-hand experience of The Bushey Academy, I'd be very interested to hear your views on the school. We are thinking of putting it as our no. 4 'safe' choice (instead of Wesfield) but have some reservations. We were quite impressed with the Principle's speech and the methods of monitoring progress etc, and of course the new buildings will be fantastic. My worry is over the behaviour of students and the general learning atmosphere.

Thanks
WatfordGirl

Re: Bushey Academy

Post by WatfordGirl »

It seems that Bushey Academy is the safer option for some rather than Westfield.

After listening to the Heads speech last year I was impressed especially compared to some I've experienced at the high achieving shcools! However my mind was quickly changed after hearing the language and attitude of students in recent months coming out of the school. In my opinion you can throw all the money you like into a school but you can't change the attitude of the children and their parents which is where it stems from.

I have a couple of friends with children at the school who are doing very well. T key I would say is what friends they choose and and whether your child is easily led. Good Luck!
Nearly over

Post by Nearly over »

Yes, I agree, it's all about the crowd they hang around with. I've put a lot of hard work into bringing my children up to have manners, be kind and respectful etc, and I'd be devastated if all that hard work was undone. On the other hand, the school would play to my child's strengths as she is not so academic and would benefit from a supportive environment...Not sure what to do.
kiwifruit

Post by kiwifruit »

My son attends Bushey Academy in Yr 9. We did not apply for this school originally, however were given the school as only achieved average academic score in tests and were not given places at the schools we wanted. We were very concerned in particular about behaviour at the school and examination results.

Everyone has their own opinion about the school but as a parent i can only tell you of our experience with Bushey Academy so far.

My son is not academic but a lovely well behaved, well mannered boy coming from a good family background.

My son has done so well at School that my worst fears and worries seem a lifetime ago. He has good grades in all subjects, his teachers are great and they have pushed him in areas that he excels in such as Sport, Science and Business.

He has a great group of friends, my main concern that he would get ion with the wrong crowd.

Yes, there are still some pupils whose behaviour to be fair is not great, i would be lying if i said otherwise, but thankfully the majority of pupils want to learn and want the school to succeed as do the majority of parents.

The school is to be fair, very strict, and bad behaviour is not tolerated and pupils with constant bad behaviour are excluded and end up being placed at some of the more sought after schools in Watford.

Not all parents of Bushey Academy pupils sit at home on our backsides claiming benefits and watching Jeremy Kyle. Its very difficult for the school to get away from the stigma of the previous school but i believe in time we will get there!

As for previous comments re pupils behaviour outside of school, teachers and Headmaster are outside the school every day which is more than i can say for some schools and to be honest I drive past Bushey Meads and Queens every day and the pupils behaviour at these schools is no different in fact i would say worse at times!!

The Headmaster is great and the results he has produced speak for themselves.

The school does not discriminate like other schools who are only interested in you if you are extremely academic and acheive high test results.

As for the comparision to Westfields, there is none.

I would love peoples attitude's towards the school to change and realise that their are some lovely kids at this school with parents who do care about their children's education and future!!
Nearly over

Post by Nearly over »

Thank you kiwi fruit, so kind of you to take the time to respond. It's really great to hear something positive about the school. We're taking a tour round during the morning in a couple of weeks and then will consider putting it on our list. Thanks again for responding.
WP

Post by WP »

Welcome back, kiwifruit. Your personal experience is especially helpful at this time.
thumbelina

Post by thumbelina »

i too am in this dilemna - bushey academy or westfield?

plse could someone tell me on like for like how the two compare?

kids behaviour..is it muc worse at one than the other?
academics - are those who are able to fulful and acheive just as much from a top school and from one of these.
how do the schools compare in terms of the other stuff ie. music, sports, great facilities, good scienc labs?
thankyou kindly.
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

Hi Thumbelina

If you can, I would recommend that you have a visit during the school day to both Bushey Academy and Westfield and see the atmosphere for yourself. That really is the best way to decide which is preferable for your DC.

Alison
thumbelina

Post by thumbelina »

thankyou Alison....thats the best thing to do.....i was thinking after seeing ricky last night that i cant face another one but the day visits might be the best thing
kiwifruit

Post by kiwifruit »

Hi

As said, the best thing to do would be to see both schools during the day and see for yourself.

From a personal point of view, I have visited Westfields frequently for sports activities etc with my son and on other occasions and personally i feel Bushey Academy is moving forwards and offers a more caring enviroment! The new school will be providing top class facilities including a Science Mega Lab, new sports Hall, Theatre etc. Westfields is currently a much larger school and i felt at the time a smaller school would suit hour son better. We actually turned down a place at Queens, offered a place on Sports but to be honest we were offered a place as he runs for the County, Football for District etc, but on an academic level he was way down the list and wanted him to go to a school for the right reasons, those being that he was accepted for who he was and where he was academically. Some schools continue to achieve as besides siblings they take the top children academically as well as distance other than Bushey Meads who take from all bands. We felt Queens was too big for him and as many of my friends thought we were insane at the time i now feel we made the right decision as he is thriving and in top sets for most subjects.

Both schools obviously have something to offer but are very different in my opinion.

As i said, this is just my personal opinion which will obviously differ from others.

Does Westfields still operate its "Lockdown" system, does anyone know!

Good Luck to everyone this year on their test results and allocations!