KS3 in 2 years

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

KS3 in 2 years

Post by Guest »

Somewhere on this forum I *think* Guest55 mentioned that she didn't know of any Bucks schools which have telescoped KS3 into 2 years. Bucks parents might be interested to know that Beaconsfield High School have now announced that, in the interests of personalised learning, KS3 will now be completed in 2 years, allowing girls to begin GCSEs early, and possibly take maths and foreign languages early (I think another subject group was mentioned, but can't remember what), thus allowing girls the time to study additional subjects or to start A levels early.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I said I didn't know any taking the KS3 NC tests early -

Waddesdon already start their GCSEs in Year 9 and Sir Henry Floyd start their GCSEs after the May of Year 9. The first cohort at Waddesdon have just finished Year 11 so hopefully someone will analyse the effect on the children.
Wiki

Post by Wiki »

The Amersham School are also planning to introduce this from Sept 07 so I hope the analysis is available quickly! Staff at the Amersham School spoke very positively about their observations of Waddesdon and seemed very excited about the impact on personalised learning.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Guest55 wrote:I said I didn't know any taking the KS3 NC tests early -

Waddesdon already start their GCSEs in Year 9 and Sir Henry Floyd start their GCSEs after the May of Year 9. The first cohort at Waddesdon have just finished Year 11 so hopefully someone will analyse the effect on the children.
Do you mean that they have completed the KS3 by the end of year 8, but that they take the SATs in year 9? If this is right, doesn't it mean that children have to revise year 8 at the end of year 9?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - the Y9 programme of study overlaps KS4 anyway - it's no different to anyone else having to revise.
Guest2

Post by Guest2 »

Burnham Grammar is also doing this

KS3 changes

Post by Guest »

Princes Risborough Upper School are introducing the system used by Waddesdon as well from Sept 2007. Should allow the most able children to do three science GCSE's instead of a double award.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They would have to allow those getting KS3 level 6 in Science access to three sciences anyway from next year!!

Post by Guest »

Does this mean that all schools from next year if pupils attain level 6 must offer three Sciences, or just those doing KS3 in 2 years?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is all schools but I need to check the start date -