A (nice) spanner in the works

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

FluffyD

A (nice) spanner in the works

Post by FluffyD »

We went to one of our local comps last night for their open evening and we were so impressed we spent the entire journey home, then all of last night wondering of we were doing the right thing by trying to send DS to grammar.

This morning I do think that the GS suits him better though I must admit that his local comp is a very close second choice.

I am lucky I realise and I am sure that come results day I will be just as anxious as everyone else wanting him to have passed.

It has taken a lot of stress away though I must admit! :mrgreen:
Vic x
ourmaminhavana

Re: A (nice) spanner in the works

Post by ourmaminhavana »

That's brilliant. It must be great after all of that worrying, to know that you have a positive alternative. :D
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

We also went to our "Plan D" school last night and I was also pleasantly surprised. It has now taken a lot of the pressure off. Although the school will not be our number one choice, if that's where DS ends up, it won't be the end of the world :)
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

It makes life so much easier doesn't it?
Off to visit our 3rd choice school next week (which is just over the road and would be the easiest choice) I have half the kids from that school hanging out on my street while skiving school!
Not sure how that will work out though happy with the GS and last nights school.

Edited to remove unwise remark!
Last edited by FluffyD on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vic x
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Unfortunately we only have 1 other choice (yes the one just holding on to it's satisfactory status), looked on the priority catchment for beckfoot and we are about a mile out so it may go down as 2nd choice and see how the dice roll. I didn't go to the open eve as i knew we are out the area but a brand new school is certainly going to attract many who would normally be going to bingley. Still crossing my fingers for egs next month though and hope it doesn't have to be an issue
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

On March 1st, we were in the position of no place at any of our 5 CAF preferences, and DD allocated a place at one of the only 2 comprehensive schools (this one actually a semi-selective) for miles around which we hadn't even been to see. Not so much the having been in Special Measures bit - which to be honest I had forgotten about (they came out in February this year) - more the relatively complicated journey. However, by lunchtime I had been over to the school to collect a prospectus, and had made an appointment for us to be taken round.

Fortunately our "tour" went well, although the other parents who were taken round with us obviously had more preconceptions than DD and myself and were just as obviously determined not to be at all impressed (but that is another story; suffice to say that by the end, our guide looked like a man in need of strong drink :shock: ).

Six months on -

Induction Day was "awesome"; Summer School was "awesome"; School is "awesome"; new BF a really nice girl :D .

Connecting bus in the morning not turning up on time not particularly awesome, but you can't have everything, I suppose.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

I also visited the local comps...being out of catchment you have to think of plan B ...but OMG didnt realise BGS? was barely hanging onto it's 'satisfactory' OFSTED rating (despite decent GCSE results) ...how would u know that? am i thinking of the right one?

As far as the other one, a brand new spanking building shouldnt make a difference but i found the head so inspirational and emotional about the upward journey...His welcome speach was enough to convince nearly every parent in the audience!
Good luck and cross fingers for your first choices!

FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

Gogi wrote:but OMG didnt realise BGS? was barely hanging onto it's 'satisfactory' OFSTED rating (despite decent GCSE results) ...how would u know that? am i thinking of the right one?
I have a friend that teaches there and she says that things are definately not good, she is even sending her son to the other school instead :(

The heads speech at Beckfoot was amazing you are right!

Edited to say that this friend is generally unhappy in her life at the moment and this is probably having an impact on her in saying this and it was unwise of me to have put this on here. I have also removed it from the post higher up. x
Vic x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now