Merchant Taylors 11+ entry Verbal Reasoning paper?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
daisyduke

Merchant Taylors 11+ entry Verbal Reasoning paper?

Post by daisyduke »

Hi all - just got past the SW Herts Consortium exams (phew!) so now turning our attention to Merchant Taylors in January, for my DS who's trying for 11+ entry. I know the maths and English papers are both 1 hour long, and I have past papers for those from Open Days and the website. But I can't find anything on what the Verbal Reasoning paper will be like.

Does anyone know how long it is, how many questions, is it multichoice or standard, and whether any particular study books would be useful?

We've done loads of VR in prep for the consortium exam of course, but just wanted to check that would be enough! Thanks x
daisyduke

Re: Merchant Taylors 11+ entry Verbal Reasoning paper?

Post by daisyduke »

thought I'd post my own reply in case anyone searches on this in future!

Went to the open day this morning and the admissions team were v helpful - the VR paper is 100 questions in 45 mins, it's multiple choice, and they said 'any study books from Smiths' would be appropriate.

x
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Can you not ask them who the publishing house is? 100 in 45 minutes is the format of Moray House which is the same publishing house that DAO and the Watford Consortium use so if it is Moray then your ds will find even the practice questions are the same. Athey and Alpha Paper 2 will be the best ones to use as they both have 100 questions and most of the ones Smiths sells are only 80 questions. You can get Athey and Alpha on next day delivery from this forum shop. Athey has three packs of six so 18 papers. What have you been using for the English and Maths? Are you sitting Habs and St Albans as well or just MT? DG
daisyduke

Post by daisyduke »

Thanks DG that's really helpful. Yes we used Athey and Alpha for the Watford test so all in hand. No we're not sitting for Habs or St Albans, for us it's MTS, Watford Grammar or Clement Danes. Love all 3 for v different reasons!
daisyduke

Post by daisyduke »

just in case anyone looks at this in future, DS sat the exam this morning and the VR paper was in fact NOT multiple choice but standard. Rather frustrating to say the least. DS said it didn't bother him that much thank heavens. It was a very wordy question paper he said, lots of logic style "if Anna likes apples and Barbara prefers pears..." etc.