last minute arrivals for distance proximity

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
thumbelina

last minute arrivals for distance proximity

Post by thumbelina »

in the last few weeks i have noticed alot of year 6 girls arrive into my dd primary - mostly all renters for properties around the wggs. does the school actually look into bogus renters or short term renters who parachute in and thereby knock off the place for a local child and future siblings.....
herty

Re: last minute arrivals for distance proximity

Post by herty »

Yes, it does. So they'd better be prepared for a nervous few months or more...

Again - more fool them, as the area round WGGS is pretty horrid - wouldn't choose to make all my family live there just to get a place. Also, more fool them as the standards expected are v high - if they aren't bright enough to get in on exam, they may find the amount of homework etc rather a drag...
C. J.

Post by C. J. »

While I would agree that short term renters should be checked up on and (ideally) places removed from children if that is not their main residence, please don't knock the local area in this way. Some of us reading this forum do live there!
herty

Post by herty »

Sorry! Just a personal view...I'm glad you like living there. :)
Josa

Post by Josa »

herty wrote:Yes, it does. So they'd better be prepared for a nervous few months or more...

Again - more fool them, as the area round WGGS is pretty horrid - wouldn't choose to make all my family live there just to get a place. Also, more fool them as the standards expected are v high - if they aren't bright enough to get in on exam, they may find the amount of homework etc rather a drag...
May I ask on what basis did you come to the conclusion that the area is horrid? It appears judging from your previous posts, that you seem to have formed a personal view about certain areas and you're quick to disdain them. This I find a bit insensitive! :roll:
thumbelina

Post by thumbelina »

i believe that the appology has already been made.

the more serious point is that places for local kids are being lost to kids from outside the area by parents who rent near the schools for a year. so not only is the current place lost by the child of a local council tax payer but subsequent sibling places too.

i really hope the schools ask for a previous address and proof of that at time of application and also let parents know that if they return to that address soon after allocation day they can look forward to a healthy prosecution.
Tagore

Post by Tagore »

It is shocking that people go to such lengths - and they are allowed to get away with it. I sincerely hope that people with evidence of this temporary influx raise this with the SW Herts Consortium so that they can coalate a list of the miscreants by contacting the prep schools. I am sure you will agree that we owe this much to our dc's.
herty

Post by herty »

I'm pretty sure that all addresses are checked up on as genuine. I don't know of anyone in the current year 8 who got a distance place but wasn't actually living there...
thumbelina

Post by thumbelina »

address of applicant on form not equal to address following year should lead to an investigation and if necesary prosecution and definitely non transfer of sibling policy for subsequent children.

sorry.
BaldPeg

Post by BaldPeg »

In my opinion we are all entitled to do whatever we can to get the best education for our children. I do not see any reason why a child should be less entitled to a good education just because they do not have the good fortune to live near a good school.

I would not want to live in the area around WGGS either. That is not meant to insult people who live there, it is a fact. I admire those people who are prepared to uproot their family and move to an area that would not otherwise choose to live to ensure that their children get the best possible start in life.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now