All over now!!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
surreymummy

All over now!!

Post by surreymummy »

Dear all,
Yesterday (just! as I look at the clock) dd sat her third and final 11+ test. I have just been out to celebrate with friends. I never thought this would be so stressful but now I can unwind and stop compulsively looking at this forum!
Just for the record my dd thinks she's done ok in all three exams. She rated Newstead wood today the easiest, followed by Wallington and finally Nonsuch (English is not her strongest point). We will await the results eagerly. She has worked so hard, driven by her grammar-school maths-teacher mummy. Whatever happens, she has shown the drive to do well and I am so very proud of her.
Well done to all our 10-11 year olds who have sat 11+ exams this year. Let us hope they all get into the gs of choice. But more importantly, let them now enjoy the rest of year 6!
janet71

Re: All over now!!

Post by janet71 »

Now just the anxious wait for results day, then the application process lol x don't think I'll rest til march. My ds took his test 3 weeks ago, said it was easy (fingers crossed he was right) but has since become v lazy, couldn't blame him for the 1st week but then have had to explain if he does pass he cant let his standards slip and fall behind or he could struggle, and if he doesn't get a place he needs to work at getting in the top sets at local comp, the pressure never seems to end, thought i could sit back and relax once the exam was over with but seems not x good luck,
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Good luck to both your DC's. DS is just 10 and too said the tests were 'fine' (whatever that means!), in any case the attitude he has shown in the last few months would put alot of adults to shame, I hope he gets what he deserves, but I can't find the words to express how proud I am of him, if he faces every challenge in life with this attitude, he will do well and thats my comfort blanket.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi janet71 and Stocky

Sounds like we're in the same place, janet71, regarding schoolwork. My dd took the 11+ 3 weeks ago, came out saying she couldn't do the maths and didn't nearly finish it (she told me what it was about and I'm not surprised she couldn't do it!) and she's told me she has no hope of passing and getting to the gs.

So she too has to work hard in year 6. But already she doesn't want to do her homework ... it's hard making them work! She's got to realise that to get to a good stream in the local comp, she is going to have to do well in her SATS, that is her only chance. She is naturally lazy! She worked hard for the 11+ because she wants to pass, but as it sounds like she left lots of the paper out, I have little hope for her - but realistically, I never had much hope.

Like you Stocky, I am really proud that she tried; she worked really hard and did try her best in the exam. If she tries that hard in every exam she deserves to do well (I'm thinking of GCSE's!) but, like janet71, I'm finding that she won't do her homework! When she came out of the exam, I felt terribly proud of her, just for doing the exam.

I just want to know what she's got because it would be good if, having missed the gs, she could get to the top stream at our comp. I am looking forward to the 13th and beginning to find time is dragging.
janet71

Post by janet71 »

For the past week or so now i have emptied my ds schoolbag in search of homework, 2 weeks ago found 4 lots not done and it was Sunday so he spent all day doing so, not sure if he would have bothered doing any if i hadn't looked. Anyway i make him do it now that day, he protested at first but a week on he just does it, still moaning of course but I'm checking and making him redo if not, need to get him to snap out of his laziness. It's a shame as i remember in my day we never did homework in primary school and i had never really enforced it in the past but it's all different now and i don't want him in the lower sets so trying to change his outlook.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

My DD took her exam yesterday and also said it was 'fine' so who knows. Its a super selective so I think 'fine' will likely not be good enough but she has been pretty mature about the whole thing. Up till last week she was sure she wanted to go to the GS and not continue at her current Indie which offers age 3 - 18. Then we went to the Indie open evening and after that she said she was no longer sure which she preferred - still she tried her best in the exam and I assured her that nothing is yet decided and we just wanted to give ourselves choices if poss. The state option is not being considered as its very poor.
She still has to sit the Indie exam to get into the senior school in January but at least the school don't bother with SATS and just do their own exams so there won't be too much pointless cramming.
I am so relieved that this stage is over as for the Indie exam they will all be working towards it in class so she won't feel like an odd one out and won't be doing more work than anyone else on top of the fairly large amounts of homework they get.

I am so proud of how she has handled all this - she definitely earned her 1st trip to Krispy Kreme yesterday for a fluorescent pink shiny donut. There's a large glass of wine with my name on it waiting for when I shift this cold and can appreciate it

Well done to everyone's DC as this is a very big thing to ask of them at such a young age.