Which wind instrument?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pist

Which wind instrument?

Post by pist »

Musicians and musical mummies/daddies, please help!

My 9 yr old dd wants to take up a second musical instrument (a "blowy" one) that can be played in the school orchestra. She fell in love with the trumpet about a year ago and has been pestering me ever since, but is now looking more in the direction of clarinet or oboe - flute is also in consideration (nice teacher in our street).

Dd is not a musical genius (about gr2 on the piano), just generally plodding along with the masses, so I wondered if any of the brass or woodwind instruments might be easier/faster for a child to learn than others, so she can feel she is getting somewhere?

What do you think? Suggestion for other wind instruments welcome - although portability on public bus is an issue, so tubas probably not a good idea!

Thanks
:D pist
suzanne

Re: Which wind instrument?

Post by suzanne »

Last edited by suzanne on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agreed re demand for horns etc ... in short supply. Local music centre and school bands round here have a surplus of saxophones these days (mainly alt has to be said - could do with a few more tenors). Trumpet is portable and reasonably easy to get to an OK level to join in ... getting good is another matter. :lol:
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

I would lean towards a brass instrument also. DD plays clarinet and is one of many in her out-of-school orchestra. DS on the other hand plays trombone and is usually one of 3 or 4 (he's the only trombonist in the primary school orchestra). We've been to a few secondary school open evenings and the music department's eyes light up when we mention the trombone :lol:

The downside is it's quite big and heavy to carry around. Would definitely recommend a soft case which are much lighter to lug around.
Amber

Post by Amber »

suzanne wrote:My DD took up the oboe in year 3. We rented a Howarth junior oboe which is smaller than the normal oboe. She passed her grade 1 with merit last term.

The oboe is a beautiful instrument and we decided on that as my older children play more popular instruments and found it hard to get into the orchestra.

If she is going to a girls school then trumpet or any brass will be in demand and she should find it easier to get into the orchestra. It seems in a girls school the brass players are in demand and the french horn particularly.
I think the oboe is definitely a love it or hate it instrument though. DH cannot bear to be in the same room as one being played, and I do think the mournful sound is a bit of an acquired taste. That said, it does get you into orchestras because, well, not many kids play it.

We're brass bunnies here too...DS1 went from trumpet to trombone and DS2 from cornet to trumpet. I am thinking of taking up sax myself...perhaps it's a mid-life crisis thing but more dignified than a Harley Davidson I think. And apparently quite easy.
moved

Post by moved »

The negative about reed instruments is that you have to maintain the reeds.

DD, not very musical, took up the flute at the end of yr 6. With an excellent teacher, she is now heading for grade 7 in yr 10.

Disadvantage is that we now have to buy a £2k flute! Lots of flautists in her school, but they have flute choirs and a wind band. She also plays the alto flute in the choir.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

WFG is usually along to recommend a bassoon...
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Moved you don't need a 2K flute even for diploma exams.
moved

Post by moved »

G55, hers has run its course. We got a great bargain originally and it has served her well for four years. We are looking for one to last her for as long as she needs now. Any advice gladly received.
pist

Post by pist »

Thanks for all your replies!
forgot to mention dd is a lefthander - does that make a difference you think?