when did you start preparing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fabmama

when did you start preparing?

Post by fabmama »

My DD will be taking the 11plus next year, so when is the best time to start preparing her for it? We're not going down the tutor route so it's a case of DIY! Any advice or helpful tips will be gratefully received.
DC17C

Re: when did you start preparing?

Post by DC17C »

We started in the Jan before the test. It just seemed easier to go through the different types of questions over the winter when the weather is rubbish and less distractions. That meant we eased off a bit over the summer as there was a lot of other things going on and then have been doing past papers over the last few weeks.

I guess it depends on your child - my DS will only do anything to do with 11+ if his friend is here working with him. It is going to be awful if one passes and the other doesn't but at least we have found a way to get the work doen without too much stress
fabmama

Post by fabmama »

Thanks for your reply. January sounds like a good time to start too. I just started to panic as one of the mums I know was taking her year 5 DD on open days already. I'm still a bit in denial that my DD will be going to secondary school! I shall put off my panic to the new year now.

Good luck to your DS and his friend. And you too, as I'm sure you must feel like you're taking it too! I know that's how I'll feel when the time comes.
trampoline

Post by trampoline »

We took our DS around last year. It proved a big motivator to want to work and sit the test.

I think slow and steady with the preparation. I personally think after Christmas is probably about right but perhaps to start thinking about vocabulary before this.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

When did I start preparing?

1972. 6 x 1 hour after school lessons shared between the 12 children who were thought of by the end as suitable for grammar. Half a crown per lesson, I seem to remember.

Not really sure how that helps, but it does accurately answer the question. :lol:
Capers
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Im sure that some would say life is preparation!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I would say it is a lot easier and less stressful to do the school open days in yr 5- we have only visited one school this year as there is so much going on with DD just starting Yr7 at Ribston as well this year.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Also bear in mind that most people will have been preparing for later exams if they were prior to this year so you might want to factor that in. Exams were often after autumn half term but most have now moved to September or very early Oct
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

The Gloucestershire exam has been at the start of October for past few years. It is 2 VR papers so a capable child should be able to prepare in 6-8 months. My Dd started prep in the Easter before the test.
DebP

Post by DebP »

Here in Kent the 11+ is 4 different papers over 2 days, not just VR. Loads of children I know start with a tutor more than 12 months ahead! (Actually that is all the kids that take 11+ that I am aware of)
But don't let that worry you!
Glos could be easier or harder depending how you look at it cos is doesn't include maths, English and non-VR.
I think it doesn't hurt to start early at a very gentle pace.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now