How often do you phone?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jiff

How often do you phone?

Post by Jiff »

DS1 went to university last Saturday and I was wondering how often other parents phone or contact their DC. We spoke on the phone on Sunday, and we have had two text exchanges (one initiated by him and one by me). I don't want him to feel we're cramping his style, but nor do I want him to feel abandoned. I'd be very grateful for any thoughts or experiences.
SteveDH

Re: How often do you phone?

Post by SteveDH »

When I went to Uni, I only phoned my parents once a week, but then a phone call involved heading out in the pooring rain for the phone box around the corner, at least I had a phone card so didn't have to worry about jammed coins.. and there was no convenient way for my parents to contact me.

these days, communication is so easy, .....

read this :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... rsity-term
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Thanks SteveDH :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Great article!

Never phone but we have always used instant messaging on computer for quick chats and this is no different now one kid is several hundred miles away. Have used Skype too - quite a laugh sometimes.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My son went to uni just pre mobile phones. I can honestly say I don't remember him ever ringing us (we're a close family :lol: :lol: ).

Seriously. We only heard from him when he wanted something (such as lifts home) and weren't worried by the lack of communication (no news is good news as they say :D ).

It would be an entirely different matter with my dd whom we insists contacts us regularly :roll:

I would be led by him (boys are different, I think). If you don't hear from him, it doesn't hurt to drop him a text now and then to let him know you're thinking of him.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

When I was at Uni phoning home involved queuing for a phone box some way from digs with a pile of coins. It didn't happen often :)
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

We spoke about this before my son left. We agreed we could all text each other whenever we wanted but we all agreed not to be upset if texts weren't returned straight away. He left on Thursday and has texted us a few times with funny anecdotes and we kept him up to date with some family news. He rang us today to tell us he is happy and settling in well.

I think you should do what feels natural for you. Every child is different and every parent is different. Some will keep in touch more than others.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I have been really naughty...mu daughter went 2 weeks ago and we visited yesterday ( on the premise of a few forgotten items) .

Great plan, there were loads of parents around so 2 weeks in seems to be a good visiting time. My daughter was really happy to see us, however if it had been my son 3 years ago, he may have died had we shown up.....

My daughter has texted every day...with my son information was like drawing blood from a stone.

I know my kids and am happy to be in contact with my girls every day, and recognise that my sons would rather there wasn't daily contact. You have to go with the flow whether you like it or not.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

You weren't at all naughty LFH. A couple of my friends whose sons went to uni a couple of weeks ago visited them this weekend and had a great time. They were all very pleased that their DSs seem settled and happy.

DS1 texted us yesterday morning and asked us if we would like to skype. The whole family gathered around the computer. It was lovely to see his face. He made us all laugh with some very funny stories and he seemed very happy. Phew!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think it makes all the difference when you can actually SEE them on Skype
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now