School changing from modular to linear maths mid-stream !

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
muffinmonster

School changing from modular to linear maths mid-stream !

Post by muffinmonster »

DD is in Y11 and doing a modular Maths GCSE (higher tier). She is in the second set for maths; the top set do Maths and Statistics, and as far as I know they are not affected by what is happening now.

What is happening is that the school have looked at the results for Modules 1 and 2, which the students completed in Y10, and decided they are not happy with the results. Rather than have the students resit one or both modules, they want to clear their scores and enter them for linear Maths at the end of this year.

They argue that last year when they had some students doing modular and some doing linear, that the linear students all improved by at least a grade in Y11 (improved on what? they don't say), while the modular students maintained their Y10 or even went down a grade.

My DD and her friends are pretty unhappy about this, and I do feel, while I am sure the school are doing this in good faith, that it is quite a gamble. I don't think anyone wants to sit a linear exam on the entire syllabus when they already have grades 'in the bag' for two-thirds of it.

My DD (along with just 3 or 4 others) is in a fortunate position because she has an A and an A* in the first two modules, so they are letting her have the option of sticking with modular. However, other girls who have grades that they may be perfectly happy with are not getting that choice.

What do you more experienced and knowledgable forum members think? Is this bonkers, or actually a good idea? I need to speak to DD's maths teacher and at the moment want her to stick with modular, but I'm open to anyone's thoughts on this.
Guest55

Re: School changing from modular to linear maths mid-stream

Post by Guest55 »

Why not allow some to carry on and some to do linear? This should not be a problem. (I'm a Maths teacher by the way!)
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Yes, it would make sense to offer the girls the choice. Then those that felt they had something to gain by doing linear could do so, thereby avoiding resits. Whichever option they take, they will be covering the same ground anyway, as they have already covered the material for modules 1 and 2.

But it seems the school is not willing to offer the choice except to a very small number of girls.
moved

Post by moved »

There was a large difference in the scores required for linear and modular this year. Over 90% required for A* at modular, whereas low 80s for linear.

My worry is that the modular units went up by over 10 marks from one year to the next. Linear may do the same.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now