age adjustment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
custard

age adjustment

Post by custard »

Hi, I'm new to these forums and I have a son in year 5. I've heard that in some areas the scores are adjusted according to a child's birthday. Do they do this in Gloucestershire? This interests me because my DS was born in August.
Mum66

Re: age adjustment

Post by Mum66 »

Yes - the scores in Glos are standardised to ensure children who are young in their year group are not disadvantaged - but have no idea in practise if it makes a huge difference or not.
custard

Post by custard »

Thanks, that's good news.
trampoline

Post by trampoline »

Mum66 wrote:Yes - the scores in Glos are standardised to ensure children who are young in their year group are not disadvantaged - but have no idea in practise if it makes a huge difference or not.
Does anyone have any idea whether in practice it does make a significant difference or not?
Have read some threads from previous years but got the impression that all the schools standardised in different ways and that no one really knew the extent to which it assisted those younger in the year.
PaterGloucester

Post by PaterGloucester »

I have no knowledge of the degree of adjustment that’s made, but I doubt it’s very much. It probably amounts to the equivalent of getting a couple of extra questions right in the exam if you’re the youngest, and having the same knocked off if you’re the oldest.

But as it’s observably true that Pates isn’t filled with either August- or September-born kids, I really wouldn’t worry about it.
trampoline

Post by trampoline »

PaterGloucester wrote:
But as it’s observably true that Pates isn’t filled with either August- or September-born kids, I really wouldn’t worry about it.
Ha, this is actually one of the very few things I am not worrying about! I don't have a Sept or Aug child so figure that it won't male too much difference as DS is towards the middle. Just interested in the whole process. :D
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

My bIggest question is why do it at all? They have all had the same amount of school years.. Perhaps it should also be adjusted depending on which primary they attend, since that wil undoubtedly have an effect.
PaterGloucester

Post by PaterGloucester »

stroudydad wrote:My bIggest question is why do it at all? They have all had the same amount of school years..
In a word maturity. Older children have had longer in the world to absorb information, read etc.
stroudydad wrote:Perhaps it should also be adjusted depending on which primary they attend, since that will undoubtedly have an effect.
And how would that work, exactly ?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Pater, at the start of every reception year there will be children that can read when they arrive, and those that can't even recognise a letter, and age will have had nothing to do with that, just outside influence. My point being that what happens in a child's life has a huge impact on them, certainly far more than several months of age. Hence my point about schools, as locally I know of at least two state schools that do some prep for 11+ and others that don't.
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:Pater, at the start of every reception year there will be children that can read when they arrive, and those that can't even recognise a letter, and age will have had nothing to do with that, just outside influence. My point being that what happens in a child's life has a huge impact on them, certainly far more than several months of age. Hence my point about schools, as locally I know of at least two state schools that do some prep for 11+ and others that don't.
Gosh, never come across a state school in Glos which does any preparation for 11+. Quite hard to justify that in a crammed curriculum I should think.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now