Torquay Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bec

Torquay Boys

Post by bec »

Hi all,

Can anyone give me any info on the above, how many places versus applications, also what types of questions (i ask this blindly as have been looking at other posts for different areas and some use different questions)?!!!
Is competition incredibly strong? My son is just coming to the end of year 4 and has achieved level 4's in all his sats, but equally loves his football etc so this is why we're looking at Torquay rather than Colyton.
If anyone could shed any light on this whole scary business I'd be eternally grateful!!!

Bec
fgb

torquay vs colyton

Post by fgb »

What are the implications of applying to both TBGS and Colyton?? Is it possible? We are relocating to Devon from London at my son's move up to secondary school and hope to use the chance to get him into a grammar school. We are flexible about where we live so there is no practical issue about location.

If anyone can advise me I'd be grateful! Thank you :?:
bec

Post by bec »

Hi

well when my son applies, which will be next year there will be different system ( according to torquay grammar) You will be able to sit the entrance exam, and know the results before you need to put down your choices. This is great, however the downside is that you can only take 1 entrance exam, so wouldn't be able to apply for colyton too.
Good to get a response, beginning to think that devon was a desert!!!

Bec
fionagb

I am not alone!

Post by fionagb »

great to have discovered this site and that I am not alone! Understanding all this from a distance is hard work - without the playground grapevine and local knowledge.

thank you for your response - I am visiting TBGS on 10 July so will ask about the new system.

good to know we wouldn't have to live in Torquay too....

when you say you are applying next year do you mean for the Sept 2008 intake? That is the time we will be applying for as my son is in Year 5 currently
bec

Post by bec »

hello again!

our son just finishing yr 4, so would be taking exam in 2008 for intake 2009. If your son is doing the exam this year then new system won't be in place. So will have to put down school options before knowing whether he's passed. I do know however, that unless you put colyton grammar as your first choice, you will not get in, even if you pass the exam. Both schools have websites and colyton's explain their entrance procedures in great depth! I'm fairly sure the same applies for torquay, as obviously there's alot of kids going for not alot of places, therefore if it's not your first choice then you go down the list.

Sorry to waffle on, think it makes sense?!

bec
fionagb

Post by fionagb »

hello bec

I had understood the "first place" to have been revised since this year and now on the Colyton website it states that the placing doesn't matter. But I think in Devon although it is one LA there are different forms for Plymouth and Exeter and so presumably you need to fill in one or the other. I guess I need to speak to someone at the LA.

I am going to Colyton next week so will ask about it then and share the feedback.

complicated huh?

fiona
Katie

TBGS

Post by Katie »

Reluctantly advise that you need to do your homework to a much higher standard - Devon is not the LEA for TQBG.

Post by Guest »

bec wrote: I do know however, that unless you put colyton grammar as your first choice, you will not get in, even if you pass the exam. Both schools have websites and colyton's explain their entrance procedures in great depth! I'm fairly sure the same applies for torquay, as obviously there's alot of kids going for not alot of places, therefore if it's not your first choice then you go down the list.

Sorry to waffle on, think it makes sense?!

bec
No schools are allowed to insist on first preference on the LEA list from Sept 2008 entry. The new admissions code outlaws this, and the schools that have been doing that up to now have all had to revise their admissions criteria to reflect this.
bec

Post by bec »

thanks guest

Good to know!
Any feedback on either torquay or colyton would be great too, if there's anyone out there........................................ :?

bec

:D
fionagb

Re: TBGS

Post by fionagb »

Katie wrote:Reluctantly advise that you need to do your homework to a much higher standard - Devon is not the LEA for TQBG.
I understand that Torbay is TBGS's LEA - but as there is no formal catchment area for either TBGS or Colyton, one could presumably apply to both from either LEA? Unfortunately school homework is taking over my day job!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now