What are we told on results day?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fairweathergardener

What are we told on results day?

Post by fairweathergardener »

Ok, so I understand that we are now getting separate results from all schools we have ticked the box that we want the results shared with...but what I can't work out what we are told. And I now realise that our misery won't end over the weekend as results are now being posted out and not emailed.

Pates we are told if child in top 120 and therefore in reality has a place. Between 120 and 160 at Pates this year we will be given a position. Beyond 160 we will be given a Pates score. Is this correct?

Stroud High we are to be given a letter saying if child is in top 120 and thereafter we are given a score .....right?

Denmark Road and Ribston we just get a letter saying if child has met the qualifying score and that's it. No more info. Right?

So a lot of us will be in the twilight zone, probably even until after the first allocation as its only then it will be known who will not take up offered grammar places because of private offers. I know of at least 3 people who will put down a choice if they get the right score in the test, but who won't take the place anyway even when offered to them on 1st March.
mum23*

Re: What are we told on results day?

Post by mum23* »

For RHHS and HSFG you will have a standardised score so anything over 210 is a pass and the higher the score means you get a more clear cut idea of a place at the school. So if you have over say 220 you can put it first with confidence. You are only in the twilight zone if the score is close to the pass mark. If you look at last years threads you will see that scores at or close to the pass mark got a place at RHHS and HSFG. For Pates any score not qualifying to be in the top 160 will not be eligible for a place at Pates (as far as I know). Top 120 have the place if they want it and put it first on the CAF, 120 - 160 have a chance according to how many choose Pates. Previous years threads on this will show you what place they went down to. Don't worry too much about it just wait and see what happens. You can ask any specific questions then and someone will have the info.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I think I read that Pates may go down to 180 this year.
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

Pates going to 180 this year, last year went down to 160 and I believe number 160 got offered a place in the end.
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

Yes, Pates = top 180. Although in interests of "social mobility" if a child with rank 180 is entitled to Pupil premium they will leapfrog the queue and become no. 1. Don't think it will have a huge effect either way, but technically you could be knocked out by someone with a lower score than youself. (Say if you were 160 and they went that far). Cynics would say it's also less about equal opps and more about money for the school......
qip001

Post by qip001 »

sorry but what is "pupil premium"???
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

Sorry! Basically free school meals/low income families. Can also sometimes include Forces children - but don't quote me on that one. (And I should add this is only for Pate's).
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

edit
Last edited by FluffyCat on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Every little helps....

Pate;s are using the pupil premium and looked after to allocate the first places available out of the 180 - doesn't say anything about the service premium though..
The rank order of these 180 ‘qualifying’ children is used, along with other criteria
listed below, to allocate available spaces in the following order:
• any ‘looked-after’ children1
in the list of 180 qualifying children;
• any of the 180 who, at Registration, qualify for the Pupil Premium; and then
• Test rank order, until all Year 7 spaces are allocated.
The pupil premium was introduced in April 2011 for pupils in England from low-income families
In 2011-12 it was set at £488 per pupil - £625m in total and in 2012/13 it rose to £600 - £1.25bn in total
The premium is available for children eligible for free school meals and pupils in care
It has been extended from 2012-13 to pupils who have been eligible for free school meals at any point in the past six years
Schools are free to spend the extra funding as they see fit but from September 2012, the government requires schools to publish information about how they use it
There is also a service premium for children whose parents serve in the armed forces; this was £200 in 2011-12 and rose to £250 for 2012-13
qip001

Post by qip001 »

Its interesting, that only Pates chose to give priority to "Pupil Premium" kids, no other grammar mentions this category in the addmissions policy. All others only give priority to "looked after" kids. I wonder why Pates decided to introduce this category this year??
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now