Late sitting

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ringostar

Late sitting

Post by Ringostar »

Some schools are making arrangement for late sitting for those children who did not register for test in time, for example Tiffin School and Tiffin Girls School. Some one mentioned that Kendrik is also making similar arrangements.

Would local grammars also allow for second sitting, if we include that schools in our CAF.
decaff

Re: Late sitting

Post by decaff »

I was shocked to learn last night from a friend attending opening event at SCD that schools are still making provision for children who missed deadline to to sit the academic test. Yes she was advised this will be the same test that our children sat almost 3 weeks ago! I think this is totally wrong. Information about particular questions 1 in particular in maths that springs to mind may well have reached parents whose children who have not yet sat. These children have also had 3 weeks longer to prepare. Am I beiing ridiculous? Its just made me rather cross.
decaff

Post by decaff »

In relation to my above comment I am refering to the Herts Consortium Exam.
Hera

Post by Hera »

I agree that another late sitting could potentially disadvantage kids who have already sat. I think we should all be careful to give nothing away on this site even questions that were hard or might have been talked about. It is of course impossible to prevent the kids talking about the exams amongst themselves. To clarify the head said the late tests were only for academic not music, which seems odd; as if they feel they have to offer one, why do they not feel obliged to offer both? :?
thumbelina

Post by thumbelina »

because they - the `schools admissions people` still dont know what they are doing....

the real problem is the fact that they dont have enough places for all the totally deserving and capable children out there and so they run around like headless chickens trying to put patches over a system full of holes.

as soon as they patch one hole another appears.

i dont consider that with the current schools that we have a choice....is a choice really one between a bad school and a good school???

why do kids who are smart and bright end up in sink schools?
WP

Post by WP »

bel wrote:To clarify the head said the late tests were only for academic not music, which seems odd; as if they feel they have to offer one, why do they not feel obliged to offer both? :?
Remember that everyone applying to Queens' or Bushey Meads has to do the academic test; Queens' use it to balance their year 7 classes, while Bushey Meads use it for their banded intake.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

If our sink schools were placed in some areas they would be highly sought after. Everything is relative.
RationalityRules

Post by RationalityRules »

Regarding the Consortium exam late sitting: we too heard about this at the school Open Day on Monday and I too was shocked. It seems extremely poorly judged to allow children to sit the test weeks after other children have sat it. Not only has there (doubtless) been playground chatter about questions and right/wrong answers, but children sitting the test late have had longer to prepare and may (I'm guessing) sit the test in smaller groups, which could be an advantage to any children who find large groups and unfamiliar settings difficult.

We always knew that our children would be the first cohort to sit the tests under the new system and that there may be issues to be ironed out. It is shocking, though, in a system that sees one point decide whether your child gets school A or school B, to think that another child may get that one extra point because of an advantage handed to them by poor administration and/or planning.
herty

Post by herty »

Apeals season should be busy this year!
Ringostar

Post by Ringostar »

Some schools may be using the same papers again. With the information about the first sitting going round, many border line candidates would be pushed down. Coupled with HBS & QE English paper fiascos, there would be loads of appeals. I Agree with hearty there.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now