Standardised Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Very Confused

Standardised Scores

Post by Very Confused »

I know I should probably hang my head in shame for being confused about this but how do you work out what "standardised scores" are - I see these referred to on this site. And does Herts weight the final score according to a child's birthday? My son will be exactly 11 for this year's 11+ in November. What kind of marks should he be getting in the maths & VR papers to stand a reasonable chance?

Thank you.

Post by Guest »

There are tables that convert raw scores to standardised scores by looking at a child's birthday. My primary school in Barnet indicated scores over 130 would indicate the child has a good chance of being offered a place at a selective school. We may be able to help further if we know which schools you will be applying to.

Post by Guest »

Thanks - I'm interested in Watford Boys & Parmiters.
WP

Post by WP »

Very confused wrote:Thanks - I'm interested in Watford Boys & Parmiters.
The standardization is done by NFER; there are some illustrations on their web site. For the SW Herts consortium, it's based on the 2300-odd children who do the test in a particular year, and the results are not released. Essentially they scale the actual marks obtained by the November-born children taking the test in that year so that they have an average of 100 and a standard deviation of 15, and similarly for each other month. There is a logic to it, but since no data is released it's hard to give numerical answers.

You also need to know that the standard will likely be higher this year, as these schools have been forced to lower the proportion accepted via the test from 35% to 25%.