Does it matter how well a child is performing agaist others?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Post by Guest »

Does it really matter how well your child is performing against others in their year or indeed other schools? As long as they have a realistic target set by their current school and are doing their very best I think no child should be compared against another - it could be soul destroying :(
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I think that it matters because we have to face it at some point, when our children take exams like GCSEs and above.
Far for finding it soul destroying, I find it more reassuring to have a good idea of what my child is up to, rather than being in the incertitude. We all have a good idea of children strenghts and weakenesses, why whould it be different for academic ability?
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Anonymous wrote:Does it really matter how well your child is performing against others in their year or indeed other schools?
Most parents would not intentionally set up their own children for a fall.

Knowing how their children are getting on in relation to their peers, when concerning 11+ entrance helps parents assess whether the test is going to be achievable or not.
If I knew my child was achieving academically lower than his peers , I would not frequent this site, as I would not enter him for the 11+ with the knowledge that he had no chance.
As long as they have a realistic target set by their current school and are doing their very best I think no child should be compared against another - it could be soul destroying :(
It could be soul destroying for the child if they found out, but then I would not be so heartless as to tell him, in the first place. I suspect the same of most parents too.

Guest, will your child be sitting for 11+?

Post by Guest »

Hi, my child has already sat the 11+ and is just completing year 7 at our local Grammar. He's middle/middle below average but i feel that some children cope better than others knowing where they are in their year group. It doesnt bother my child that hes middle/middle below but when my friends daughter saw this on her report she didnt cope at all and it took a lot for my friend to reasure her that she was amongst a lot of very bright children and did not have to compare herself with them - why should she - she is an individual. Yes its nice to know how they are doing but schools should be VERY careful how they convey this info.
chad

Post by chad »

I have just received my son's report for Year 7. It records teacher assessment, level achieved in end of year exams and his personal target for end of year 8. There isn't any comparisons as to his 'position in class'. This (with parents evening) has given me a clear indication of where he sits compared with National Levels and whether he is reaching his potential. I will not try and compare him to others...they all have strengths and weaknesses.....but will encourage him to reach the targets that his teachers believe him capable of.
Grumpy etc..

Post by Grumpy etc.. »

My daughter and son are in Years 1 and 4 (state infants and juniors)respectively and teachers do refer to them 'working in the top third' of the class/ group. They are also in sets for some subjects - maths, literacy.
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

I don't think it is helpful to compare individual against individual, but I have found it helpful to know if my child has been above average, average, etc. in areas of the curriculum.

I think most children actually have a fairly good idea of whereabouts they fit ability wise in certain subjects within their class without it being spelt out to them. As long as each child's efforts are recognised and valued this should not become a big issue.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Bexley, i agree. Most children know without this being spelt out. Mine know exactly which children are more able and which are not. As they know why shouldn't parents be told?
katel

Post by katel »

NKM - what would you do with the information if you were told?

Post by Guest »

That is just it. Information.

Call it morbid curiosity. Call it satisfaction in knowing where child is compared to the bigger scheme of things. Call it a wake up call if child is under perfoming badly. Call it a celebration when child exceeds teachers' expectations. Call it anything you like and use it any way you want.

Use it wrongly (e.g.child or parent boasting ) and you will get pilloried by others.
Use it correctly ( e.g.help child to progress in weak areas) and you might get a child growing in confidence.

Information and feedback is important. What is wrong is how it can be used. We all look for information (hence this website) and look to use them to make decisions. It may seem like a worthless piece of info (SATS results) but it is a personal piece relating to my child so I would like to know.

My views entirely.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now