Catherine

Some comments about 'End of year 7 levels survey'

Post by Catherine »

Carrying on from:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... highlight=
Guest55 wrote:As a maths teacher the 7b looks over optimistic! I
can't believe the topics for level 6 and level 7 have all been covered
in one year!!! QCA optional tests put a 6a ceiling on Y7 levels
Guest55 wrote:I still doubt a 7b ... the level is dubious!
Well, the 7bs in maths were probably achieved in schools that do a condensed KS3 in maths.

My son's school also do the KS3 in 2 years, and the first cohort that took their maths SATs in year 8 was last year cohort.
The results were similar to what year 9 students would normally obtain and a significant number of pupils got a level 8.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to believe that these pupils were at level 7 in year 7.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If they get level 7 in Year 7 they should get EP in Year 8 - are you speaking as a Maths teacher?
chad

Post by chad »

Hi Guest55

I was under the impression that the average progress was 2...poss 3 sub levels in a year. That would mean a level 7 at the end of year 7 could be a level 8 at the end of year 8.
The jump from level 5 to level 7 within year 7 can surely be explained by the KS2 Sats having a ceiling of level 5.
A student who gets Level 5 with a mark of 100% is obviously working at a higher level than shown according to the SATs. :?

Post by Guest »

If they get level 7 in Year 7 they should get EP in Year 8
Whats EP?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Here's an extract from the dfes 'Evaluation of the Two Year Key Stage 3 Project'

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/research/data/up ... /RR836.pdf

>>
In the Year 7 and 8 Optional Tests more progress was made in mathematics by pupils following accelerated courses in Phase 1 Project schools than by pupils in Phase 1 Comparison schools. By the
end of Year 7, pupils following accelerated courses in Phase 1 Project schools had made between one and one and a half terms of additional progress compared with pupils in Phase 1 Comparison schools.
By the end of Year 8 pupils had made an additional two terms of progress compared with pupils in Comparison schools. <<

>>In conclusion, the Two Year Key Stage 3 Project provided schools with an opportunity to innovate and provide curricular flexibility. Pupils’ progress in mathematics during Key Stage 3 was very encouraging. <<
chad

Post by chad »

EP.....Exceptional Performance (I think...but not sure :roll: )
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Catherine - please remember some of this research is biased as they know the result they want before they start - you cannot have a true control group.

My sister is a statistician and she can use the same data to prove two opposing hypotheses ....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Even 100% in KS2 in unlikely to be a level 6 as they will not have been taught the content - hence my doubt that the content of TWO levels can be covered appropriately on one year - if they could pupils would be on course to get A* in Year 9 ..
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Guest55 wrote:Catherine - please remember some of this research is biased as they know the result they want before they start - you cannot have a true control group.

My sister is a statistician and she can use the same data to prove two opposing hypotheses ....
The fact that some pupils obtain a level 7 in year 7 and a level 8 in year 8 is not statistics. It is FACT
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Does it matter what level they are as long as the teacher is stretching them according to their ability? We're all getting a bit obsessed with levels, and now sub-levels. Let's trust the teachers unless we have strong reasons not to.

Geoffrey
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now