Loreto's college in St Albans

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Petal8

Loreto's college in St Albans

Post by Petal8 »

Does anyone have a daughter studying in Loreto's college in St Albans who can comment about their approach,academic push and overall view about the school? Any advice will be gratefully received by a very worried mum.
RomaWhelan

Re: choosing secondary schools

Post by RomaWhelan »

My god daugher has just started Year 7 at Loreto College and is absolutely loving it there.

It is also one of my favoured options for my daughter who is Year 6 at present. I absolutely adore the school and cannot say enough good things about it.

It is rated as outstanding on Ofsted. I have been to visit the school on two separate occasions and was bowled over by the articulate, mature, intelligent and friendly nature of the pupils. I was also impressed by the hardworking and dedicated teaching staff, having spoken to several of them at length. Academically , the school has excellent exam results, particularly when you consider the non selective nature of the school, in comparison to other schools in the SW Herts Consortium. And your child does not even have to sit an 11 plus examination to gain entry.

What I like most is the fantastic pastoral care and the nurturing atmosphere of the school.

If your daughter is lucky enough to gain entry to this school, then she is very fortunate in my humble opinion!! Good luck.
Petal8

Re: Loreto's college in St Albans

Post by Petal8 »

Hi Roma,

Thank you so much! this is really Uncanny! our daughters are best friends at school and you once again are successful in calming me down!!! Thank you for your advice and hope our daughters are sucessful in whichever school accepts them!!
RomaWhelan

Post by RomaWhelan »

This has made me smile. We don't often get a chance to talk in the school playground what with our hectic schedules!
Anytime you want to talk or need support don't hesitate to ring. And remember how fortunate you are in having the choice of fantastic local Catholic schools.
Petal8

Post by Petal8 »

Yes, I know. I have made my choices and done and dusted with all the forms, applications etc.,.... been one hectic of a day!!! met your lovely daughter in school.
hertsman

Post by hertsman »

Hi Roma,
wondering if you could elaborate a little more re choice of fantastic local Catholic schools - I have a daughter in Year 5 so am trying to think ahead. Many thanks!
tense

Post by tense »

Have a look through threads from the last couple of weeks - Loreto (St Albans), Joan of Arc (Ricky) & St Michael's (Garston) have all been discussed. Depending on where you live, you might also like to consider Sacred Heart in Harrow Weald.

Is your DD not at a catholic school now? Both Loreto & St Michael's have feeder schools - not sure about the other two. Of course that doesn't mean you won't get a place (assuming you & your DD are church going!) but it might be a bit harder - these are all popular, oversubscribed schools.
handbag50

Post by handbag50 »

Hi Roma and anyone else...

I, like you are lucky enough have the choice of the great Catholic schools in our area, but my DC has
a borderline score that would have just got in to the Grammar in the last few years.

I am really struggling to choose which way to go. Is it better to be in top groups in
one school or average groups in another???? I love the Catholic ethos but feel
I may regret it if I dont try for one of the best schools around.

Any thoughts??

Many thanks
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It all depends on your dd's interests. My dds play in a lot of County Tournaments for Hockey, Netball, Athletics and Cross Country. They also play league matches mid week and Saturdays. Many Herts schools don't play any matches at all on a Saturday and my dds end up playing Essex and Herts private schools. Parmiters and Watford Girls and Boys pop up at most things but not Loreto so perhaps they are not especially sporty. Music and Drama are other areas to consider. I would choose Watford Girls or Parmiters over Loreto. But that is based on our interests which are more reflected by Watford Girls and Parmiters. DG
RomaWhelan

Post by RomaWhelan »

Hi Handbag 50

I am in exactly the same position as you are. My daughter has scored just over the minimum required to get into Watford girls grammar, and she is also attending a local catholic primary school.
Let me give you a little background information about our family and my DD.We are practising Catholics and I actively participate in volunteering at our local Catholic Church. I also am a Holy Communion Catechist. When my DD was ready to start primary school, we tried in vain to get her into our local Catholic primary school but it was so oversubscribed that year that she stood no chance. As a result,she went to our local school, which is not faith based, but a fantastic little school nonetheless.
When my DD started year 5, we went to look at all the secondary schools as you do, thinking that as practicising Catholics,we stood as much chance as everyone else to get her into Loreto College, St Michaels or Joan of Arc. How wrong we were!
Upon investigation,we realised that we stood a very limited chance of getting her into Loretos or St Michaels as both schools give priority to a long list of Catholic primary feeder schools. Joan of Arc, seemed to be the only realistic option we had as their criteria is based on distance from the school for practising Catholics.
We also went to visit Girls Grammar and absolutely loved it as my DD is an academic child who we felt would thrive in an all girl environment.
After much deliberation, we moved our daughter into our local Catholic primary school (a space had luckily become free that year) in Year 5. We felt that by doing this she could still try for Girls Grammar, and she would also have the option of ALL the excellent Catholic secondary schools on offer as backup.
As things stand now, our preferences are as follows..1 Girls Grammar, 2 Loreto College 3. St Michaels, 4. Joan of Arc. We absolutely adored Loreto College but felt we would be better to put the Grammar first as it is closer to our home, whilst Loretos is in St Albans. Having said that we would be chuffed to bits to get either of our first 2 options for our DD.
We are in the most fortunate position of having a list of 4 outstanding schools for our DD as preferences and having a very realistic chance of getting most if not all of them. (We are hoping DD will get Girls Grammar, maybe not in first round however. She would have done so in the last 5 years) But as I explained we are only in that position because DD was brave enough to move into the Catholic feeder school in year 5.
With regard to Sacred Heart girls school in Harrow, I do not have first hand experience of that. I have heard it is also outstanding on Ofsted and like Joan of Arc does not give priority to feeder primary schools.
Handbag 50... I hope this has helped. Like I said we are going for girls grammar first and this is based purely on the distance issue. I feel that whatever happens however my DD will get a great school regardless.
Good Luck!