Wilmington Grammar for Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bondgirl

Wilmington Grammar for Boys

Post by bondgirl »

Hi

I understand WGSB take 10% on score then on distance. Does anyone know how far they have gone out in previous years?

Growingtofast

Re: Wilmington Grammar for Boys

Post by Growingtofast »

The school should be able to let you know previous distances.

I live near Chelsfield Station on The Highway in Orpington and we got offered a place in March on allocation day. My son is now in year 8. My understanding is that is was a similar distance last year as well.

Hope that helps :D
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Thanks GTF :D Are you happy with the school so far?
Growingtofast

Post by Growingtofast »

My son is very happy there. He got an award at the end of year 7 for having the most merit points for his house.

Year 7 was quite intense but once we got into the swing of being organised and planning homework etc things got easier after the Christmas break.

The only downside I have is the cost of the coach :roll:, the fact that we live in Orpington after school activities are a pain.
Blametheparents

Post by Blametheparents »

For 2012 allocations I think the distance that Wilmington Boys went out to was smaller than in 2011.
On March 1st a friend didn't get a place for her son - they live 5.6 miles away. The son did later get a place so things do move around after March 1st and I couldn't be sure what the final distance was, though I am sure the school would tell you.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Thanks for the info. Will see how DS scores on Thursday/Friday then take it from there. The transport links aren't great from Bromley to WGBS so after school activities would be a bit of a nightmare - two buses I suspect. But worth a look nonetheless.
Lass

Post by Lass »

My son started there this September. In March when the allocations came out, they only went out about 5.5 miles. There were a lot of appeals and the school eventually opened up an extra form; so I do believe the majority of people that wanted a place would have got one.

I think the distance issues were down to a large amount of passes in the local area. Our primary school had a massive pass rate (over 70%) whereas previously it has always been around 20%-30%.

Early days for DS but he has settled in so well and we are really happy with the school. Lots of communication as to their progress and they take a lot of time in making sure all the boys adapt well to the transition from primary school. Homework hasn't been too bad (so far) either - I think the projects set are more reasonable than have been previously (for anyone who has heard the horror stories about them!).
raymae

Post by raymae »

Does wilmington Grammar have a minimum score ? x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now