New 11 Plus Procedures Public Consultation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Lillie

New 11 Plus Procedures Public Consultation

Post by Lillie »

I see in today's Bucks Free Press (12/10/12) there is an article quoting Philip Wayne, headteacher of Chesham Grammar School, as confirming a public consultation starting in January on possible changes to admissions arrangements for the Bucks grammar schools. Mr Wayne has apparently spoken to the paper this week on behalf of the grammar school heads to confirm that the Bucks grammar schools have "expressed their intention to continue to work together with the local authority and to use the local authority to administer on their behalf a single unified admissions procedure based on the 11 plus test."

So at least it seems confirmed (?) that there will be a central test administered by Bucks CC, but no idea yet of how the test will change.

And a consultation starting in January still seems like a very tight schedule for children in the 2014 intake (current year 5).
scary mum

Re: New 11 Plus Procedures Public Consultation

Post by scary mum »

Does "unified admission procedure" cover the 11 plus, or just the CAF/allocation?

PS it's not on the Bucks Free Press website yet, if anyone is looking (or at least I couldn't find it!)
scary mum
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

It's on Page 2 of the hard copy of the paper issued today. They don't tend to put everything on the online version. Reading the article, I take it to mean changes to the test itself, though the headteacher quoted could not confirm what the changes will be, if any. We will all have to wait until January. Very frustrating.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Take a look at the following link on the BCC website

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/schools/a ... hools.page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

NEWS - Since last year, all the grammar schools in Buckinghamshire have become their own admission authorities. Therefore, grammar school admission is no longer the direct responsibility of the Local Authority. However, all Buckinghamshire grammar schools have expressed their intention to continue to work together with the Local Authority, and to use the Local Authority to administer, on their behalf, a single unified admission procedure based on an 11+ test. Grammar schools are currently working with the Local Authority and will, in January, be launching a public consultation on the admission arrangements that will apply for entry in 2014.

Patricia
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

Okay. I am going to put my head above the parapet here to get shot down.

I am thinking that Bucks want to have fewer appeals for non-qualification that are very costly and numbers have risen significantly over the years.

I am also noting that a number of non-grammars in Herts (Bushey Meads and Westfield) have introduced a 'grammar' stream and this has been begun in Bucks by Highcrest (?).

Further, Chesham grammar often has spare places in year 7 which they would like to fill that may feel threatened by a move in this direction.

All in all it strikes me that there may be a desire to move from a definitive pass mark to a more flexible one that would enable grammars to fill all spaces and negate threat of these new 'grammar' streams that may be offered by Uppers.

Also a move to substantially lessen number of non-qualification appeals and separate over-subsciption appeal and combine both into one appeal later in year.

Just personal view.
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

Ooooh - how to edit!!!!!

Of course I meant 'shot' down!!! Really must preview posts.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

:lol: I've edited it.
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

Thankyou.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Report up now: http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/99 ... an/?ref=la" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marylou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The changes are because the GS now have to PAY for the testing process.

They are looking to save money ...