Working abroad

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

Working abroad

Post by Looking for help »

I don't know where to post this, maybe we need a new section for REALLY OLD PEOPLE LIKE ME :oops:

My son has finally found gainful employment which is great, starting next year. In the mean time because he hasn't quite grown up, he has decided to go to work for a ski company as a chalet maid or some such position (he says 'host' - it involves restaurant/bar/cleaning in a hotel in a fantastic ski resort. He will get paid peanuts but will be able to ski most days, and all the stuff - lift passes/hire etc is included.

A question we have been struggling with though is how should he handle his money ? He had to have a British bank account to get the job, he will be paid in GBP, but obviously will need to withdraw euros. His current bank account charges commission plus a transaction fee for cash withdrawals, so I'm looking for some advice.

Doing a quick google didn't immediately find me with a bank account which charges much less than his current one. I saw something about 'prepaid cards' - presumably that might be a better option as he could transfer the money from his bank account to the card and then use it ? Does anyone know if this is a good idea, or whether there is a better way to handle the money ?

Thanks.
scary mum

Re: Working abroad

Post by scary mum »

When we went away in the summer we had a pre-paid debit card which we loaded with money before we went away. There are no charges for withdrawal. He could probably load this every so often from his bank account on line as long as he has internet access (or you could do it for him).
scary mum
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

If you go to Money Saving Expert at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel ... avel-money" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you will find lots of info about different cards and accounts and the best ones to use abroad.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

How about opening a European bank account eg through HSBC?
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Back in the dark ages when I was an au pair in a ski resort in the Alps, all the foreigners working for ski companies, were paid in Francs. So was I. Much easier. I wonder if they quote a salary in pounds but actually pay in Euros?
Looking for help

Cheers we are looking into the prepaid cards now, thanks scary.

Thanks for the link, Sally. i will get him to have a read.

I suppose a European bank account might be an idea, hadn't thought of it OMIH, will have a look soon.

Samlet - they are paid in GBP, we have the contract and it is quite clear. It probably would have been easier to be paid in Euro, and so open a Euro bank account.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

A squillion years ago when i was a student abroad my own bank (Williams & Glyns - yes it was a long time ago :oops: ) had various deals with international banks and set up an account abroad for me - was with barclays in that partic country - all the paperwork was done - including copies of signature etc by the time I arrived.

suspect these days not so easy to arrange like this - but might be worth asking his own bank re a euro account which he could transfer money into in a chunk, reducing the number of currency exchanges that would be needed.
Looking for help

Thanks herman - I suggested he go speak to his own branch about it, but he looked at me as if I was were a character from an old black and white spoof horror comedy tv programme. I was thinking more about the other one, you know - the Addams Family

Perhaps you could do better with him :?: :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

:lol: :lol: :lol: - as if parents could possibly know the answer LFH :oops:

Times have changed and I reckon kids sometimes find the most complex route to things whereas their bank has probably done this loads of times - of course money laundering and having to prove endlessly who you were wasn't an issue way back. (i think the bank had heard that the 2 brits had arrived in town well before we got through the doors to sort the account!)
Looking for help

Yes the money laundering I think is the thing - we will have to research this before he gets his pinny on I feel.

How nice you all are not to mention his choice of job. I have been kind of laughing all week, in between bouts of giddiness that he might make some money for himself :D Such relief :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now