Tutor Help!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CheltMum13

Tutor Help!

Post by CheltMum13 »

After lurking for several weeks I have finally taken the plunge and registered, with this being my first post - so please be gentle :wink:

I am seeking any tutor recommendations in the Cheltenham area - primarily for eleven-plus tutoring, but possibily with some general Maths/English tutoring too, for scholarships etc. Please can you PM me with any personal recommendations (or, dare I say, any 'to be avoided' )! I have an only child (daughter), do not know anyone who has recently passed the grammer school exam and no recommendations are forthcoming from the parents at school (obviously they have never, and will never, be going down the tutor route :wink: ) so I thought I would turn to those in the know!

Loving the information on this forum (although it has freaked me out a little bit) and wishing all those that took the exam last weekend the best of luck :)

Thank you in anticipation.

Genuine recommendations by PM only (private message) are acceptable - but beware of the possibility that someone who appears to be offering a recommendation may have a vested interest! Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'. (It's easy to report a possible problem: just click on the 'report button' - the red exclamation mark.)

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with caution. However, there are many long standing members (check the date of joining and number of posts) who make a valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering seriously (while still exercising a degree of caution).

If you receive a recommendation from anyone else, please exercise extreme caution!

Note also:
Tutors can found in the online tutor directory by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/services/directory

Institutional Course details can be found by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... us-courses

Intensive Holiday Courses can be found by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... ve-courses

Kind regards,

ForumAdmin
stroudydad

Re: Tutor Help!

Post by stroudydad »

Perhaps that question would be better answered after the weekend.. *mischievous grin*
PaterGloucester

Post by PaterGloucester »

CheltMum13 wrote:
I am seeking any tutor recommendations in the Cheltenham area - primarily for eleven-plus tutoring, but possibily with some general Maths/English tutoring too, for scholarships etc.
Not for next year’s exam I hope ! Almost all the best tutors are solidly booked several years in advance, so you may find yourself on a waiting list. I will PM you my recommendation, but I think you will find her books are full.

More usefully, had you thought of doing the tutoring yourself ? With some kids the parental relationship means this is doesn’t work well, but others are amenable to it: indeed it’s a good way of bonding with your child, and you’ll know exactly how well he/she is progressing. It really can be fun.

All you need are the books mentioned on this site, and hour or so a week, and an insatiable desire to learn as many new words as possible. Oh, and nerves of steel for one week in October...
lolomimi

Post by lolomimi »

Chelt mum13

Have PM'd you

Lolomimi
Okmum!

Post by Okmum! »

I will PM you :roll:
vksam

Post by vksam »

Avoid the group coaching sessions & go in for one to one tutoring
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

PaterGloucester wrote:
CheltMum13 wrote:
I am seeking any tutor recommendations in the Cheltenham area - primarily for eleven-plus tutoring, but possibily with some general Maths/English tutoring too, for scholarships etc.
Not for next year’s exam I hope ! Almost all the best tutors are solidly booked several years in advance, so you may find yourself on a waiting list. I will PM you my recommendation, but I think you will find her books are full.

More usefully, had you thought of doing the tutoring yourself ? With some kids the parental relationship means this is doesn’t work well, but others are amenable to it: indeed it’s a good way of bonding with your child, and you’ll know exactly how well he/she is progressing. It really can be fun.

All you need are the books mentioned on this site, and hour or so a week, and an insatiable desire to learn as many new words as possible. Oh, and nerves of steel for one week in October...
I agree with this. I think it brought me closer to my dd, and it certainly meant I understood what she was going through a lot better than if I wasn't involved. It also meant that I knew what the question types were so could go through things with her. This forum is invaluable and I don't think there is anything you need to know that you cannot find out here. A couple of my friends said that they couldn't do it and were afraid they would let them down, and that they would leave it to a tutor which I thought was reallys sad. I am not academic, did poorly at school and hate studying but we got through in one piece, so I'm obviously not as pants a tutor as I thought! My only wish was that I had started earlier as we didn't get going to the whitsun break which left us only 4 months; I think she would have gotten higher grades if we had.
Not for everyone but it worked for us. I just think it is important to feel you have a choice and to know that it's not the end of the world if you can't find the right/any tutor.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Even if you get a tutor I would recommend that you find out as much as you can and do some papers yourself. An interested parent who works with the child and tutor is a great combination.
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

I ended up DIYing first time round as I had left it far too late for a tutor!
I was recommended the Susan Daughtrey books which we did over the summer and used her Practice papers too. I also bought another book by Nelson Thomas online. In the september I did the NFER papers with my DS.
I agree with the comments that it really brings you closer to your DC.
I also think that, for me, knowing what they struggle with meant that I could informally build it into everyday life, like games I spy on long journeys and adding up scores quickly when playing board games with the family.
If my DC wasn't wanting to do VR on Tues pm, for example, we just didn't bother and did it another time when they were more receptive.
I was very nervous about this first time but then after success and him passing the 11+ I decided to DIY with my DD too.
I guess I am lucky because I "get" VR which makes it easier and also both my DC were happy to do it with me (most of the time :wink: )
I also think that learning to concentrate when normal family chaos is going on around them is a good thing!
CheltMum13

Post by CheltMum13 »

Thank you for all the posts and PMs, it is really appreciated :) You have all been extremely helpful and fingers crossed we will find an excellent tutor now. Will keep you posted. Thanks again :)