Appeal?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Appealing!!

Appeal?

Post by Appealing!! »

What a game? Is there no better way to do this! Congrats. to all who got what they want today, and empathies and great sympathies to those who did not. Help! Please, those wise and well-informed of you, of which there seem to be a number on this forum. DD got just a very few marks short for Ribston's threshold score. After all the efforts, heartaches, and more recently - nerves - I am sure I will appeal 'like mad', just for her sake if nothing else, as she worked so hard for so long. What to do right now though???? What do I put on the Admission Application Form (or whatever it is called) due in by end Oct.? Do I put Ribston first (if I am gong to appeal) or do I put the local school first, or other way round. I assume I have to put Ribston on the form if I am going to appeal, or do I? Any advice or wisdom would be gratefully received.
Superflygirl

Re: Appeal?

Post by Superflygirl »

The advice given to me at this time last year was to put the school I intended to appeal for first BUT ONLY if I didn't have four other choices to put on the form. As there were only 3 other schools I may have sent my DS to I put it FIRST. So sorry to hear your news but I know exactly how you feel. Never give up heart as I successfully appealed on my sons behalf last year :?
Appealing!!

Post by Appealing!! »

Superflygirl wrote:The advice given to me at this time last year was to put the school I intended to appeal for first BUT ONLY if I didn't have four other choices to put on the form. As there were only 3 other schools I may have sent my DS to I put it FIRST. So sorry to hear your news but I know exactly how you feel. Never give up heart as I successfully appealed on my sons behalf last year :?
Thanks - Appreciate that - Useful info
bobbym

Post by bobbym »

On the subject of appeals - do you need strong mitigating circumstances for a successful appeal? If your child has reached the qualifying mark but doesn't get a place, can you appeal on the basis of their CAT score even if there were no particular problems on the day that might have affected performance? Apologies for that long sentence!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

you can appeal without extenuating circumstances - indeed the academic evidence is much more important. have a read of the FAQ on apeals here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bobbym

Post by bobbym »

hermanmunster wrote:you can appeal without extenuating circumstances - indeed the academic evidence is much more important. have a read of the FAQ on apeals here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you! That looks very comprehensive! I will get my head round that over the next few months in case we need to go the appeal route.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

hermanmunster wrote:you can appeal without extenuating circumstances - indeed the academic evidence is much more important. have a read of the FAQ on apeals here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Appeals panels must be convinced that the child is of academic suitability for a Grammar Appeal. Mitigating Circs come second.

I should add that I can't help on details of appeals, only in the generalities of the system - I don't know which schools I might hear appeals for this year (we do swap around from year to year). The FAQ's and Appeals Forum are a very useful resource.

Finally, you can't start an appeal until after the schools offers come out in March.
Capers
Appealing!!

Post by Appealing!! »

capers123 wrote:
Appeals panels must be convinced that the child is of academic suitability for a Grammar Appeal. Mitigating Circs come second.

I should add that I can't help on details of appeals, only in the generalities of the system - I don't know which schools I might hear appeals for this year (we do swap around from year to year). The FAQ's and Appeals Forum are a very useful resource.

Finally, you can't start an appeal until after the schools offers come out in March.
Thank you Capers (you are a star and a saint!) for writing and confirmong what we wanted to know, and thanks to all of you who have so far contrbuted to this thread with advice and information. Now the 'Phoney War' begins for a lot of us and will doubtless end in March next year!

Quote:
‘Phoney War’ is the name given to the period of time in World War Two from September 1939 to April 1940 when, after the blitzkrieg attack on Poland in September 1939 , seemingly nothing happened. Many in Great Britain expected a major calamity – but the title ‘Phoney War’ summarises what happened in Western Europe – near enough nothing.
Pottscentral

Post by Pottscentral »

Sorry to keep covering the same questions but I just want to be absolutely clear before I fill in this Admissions form!

If we want to keep our options open regarding placing an appeal to STRS (non-qualifying score) do I put STRS as my first choice, and then the Grammars that my son qualified for and then our Comp? Do we have to list STRS to be able to appeal?

Also, can you place an appeal to more than one school or is that just a silly question?!

Thank goodness there are so many of you out there that know these things...I'd have been lost without you all!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Pottscentral wrote: Also, can you place an appeal to more than one school or is that just a silly question?!
yes you can appeal to more than one school and no it isn't a silly question.