So, seen both Maidstone grammars...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
alicegreen

So, seen both Maidstone grammars...

Post by alicegreen »

And I'm still swithering!

We loved invicta (amazing presentation) and loved MGGS both equally. I was hoping to get a strong feel about one or the other, but no!

Only thing of concern was learning invicta is now an academy and wondering what that may mean wrt funding for sen. (dd has aspergers)

What has everyone else thought?

I must add though it's increased the anxiety if she doesn't pass as we have found the high schools poor in comparison.... :?
monstermum

Re: So, seen both Maidstone grammars...

Post by monstermum »

Invicta have a new OFSTED which was published this week. Makes for impressive reading:

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/provider/files ... 136582.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Invicta is perceived as more academic (pushy?), whist MGGS is seen as more relaxed.

What does your dd like best? What's your gut feeling?

One method i heard of involves tossing a coin. Toss the coin and before it lands, the outcome you prefer you will be wishing it lands on. Thats the option you should go for. Does that makes sense?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

go on gut feeling -
If I said you couldn't go to Invicta, would you be disappointed?
If i said you couldn't go to MGGS, would you be disappointed?

if answer = yes to both, then get the coin out!!
Mary

Post by Mary »

Hi, I have two girls at MGGS who have been very happy there equally I have friends whose children are happy at Invicta. I think the main difference between the schools is that Invicta seem to do a lot of early GCSE's where as MGGS do not (except for ICT) and this is one factor which influenced our decision. Having said that my girls were very clear that they prefered MGGS so the choice for us was easy. I think both schools are excellent so go with your gut feeling. Please ask if you have any other questions.
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

I think the main difference between the schools is that Invicta seem to do a lot of early GCSE's
This is no longer true. I was at a talk given by the head of Invicta and she stated that they no longer take the accelerated learning approach for the vast majority.
alicegreen

Post by alicegreen »

My daughters preference is MGGS but because it won't involve the bus which scares her and because her only friend will almost certainly be going there.

I'm not sure they are good reasons to pick a school :lol:

I have good feelings towards both. Invicta impressed us with its clean open feel and amazing open evening, and MGGS impressed us with its feel for tradition.

I think the main thing is wondering how academy status will affect the school (invicta) and what it will mean in real terms. ( I work for the nhs and remember all thy hype years ago when local hospitals got to become trusts!)

I really like both head teachers and felt they were charismatic leaders which has got to be a good thing .

Did anyone here visit maplesden noakes !?
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

We visited Maplesden last year and as a Secondary Modern we really liked it and felt it was the best in the area. It had a lovely feel and put on a great open evening. However the grammars seems leaps and bounds ahead. The vast majority of my DDs friends will go there and so would she if she hadn't passed Medway (and/or Kent - see what weds brings!) There are lots of positives about Maplesden so good plan B/C.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Did anyone find a big difference between the sporting facilities of MGGS and Invicta?
daddylonglegs

Post by daddylonglegs »

Been to see both Invicta and MGGS and we keep on dithering between them. They both have outstanding Ofsted ratings and I think we are lucky to have a choice of two such good schools......with fingers firmly crossed pending results on Wednesday!
I get the feeling that Invicta may be a bit more pushy / ambitious whereas MGGS feels a bit more traditional....maybe Invicta having become an Academy makes it more business like? I would be interested to know how much homework girls are expected to do at both schools....someone mentioned 1.5 hours per night for Invicta which seems a lot to me, especially as the travelling will take about an hour each way.
I thought Invicta sports facilities look a bit limited whereas MGGS seemed to have more facilities and clubs on offer, though this was only based on an evening tour, so I may be wrong?
Both DD and I are still undecided....will probably go to open mornings to get a feel for the schools in daylight.