Imminent results -- confused?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Browser

Imminent results -- confused?

Post by Browser »

Dear All

I've been browsing this site for the last year or so in the lead up to my DS sitting the exams this year, and have found the threads a source of comfort in my moments of despair.

I'm actually rather brain exhausted if there is even a verb, to describe how I feel.

So would somebody be so kind as to explain to me what I should expect in the results letter this Friday.

I know that Wilsons or Wallington will only let us know if you have a pass or fail, which could still mean that you may not actually get a place at the school.

I'm actually more interested in what Tiffin will let us know. I did attend the open day and I believe that the headteacher said that if your child has passed then that means that most likely they have been offered a place too... is this wishful thinking and am I being optimistic?

I have friends in the Midlands and Essex-Redbridge regions and they are told what mark their child got and their ranking. Why don't they offer something similar here? Then at least I could make sensible choices on my CAF application( this is also something I'm dreading doing and feel very much in the dark about)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

All the best to everyone.
thank you
London_Mum

Re: Imminent results -- confused?

Post by London_Mum »

Tiffins have never released their results early before so it is all quite new.
In previous years, boys took the test in November, December or January then had to wait until March 1st (National Offers Day) to find out whether they had been offered a place or not. Prior to March 1st, no indication was given - not even a pass or fail. In fact it used to be said that you couldn't 'fail' the Tiffins exam because the school had no pass mark and just offered places starting at the top score and working down until the school was full.

This year, they are going to have to draw a pass / fail line somewhere but where that will be, I am not sure. I would be very surprised though if they did not have far more passes than places. This is the norm and allows for the fact that not all of those offered a place will accept it. Some will take up offers at private schools and some are out of area and have no intention of accepting a place at Tiffins – using it only as a mock for independent school exams taken later in the year / next January.
If they determined only 200 boys had passed, they could well end up with spare places in March that could not then be filled (they would not be able to offer places to boys with near-miss scores below the pass mark as these boys would have failed the test and not be eligible). Most grammar schools see several hundred children passing the exam for less than 200 places.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Tiffins had clearly mentioned in the draft admission arrangments that score achieved would be given. Following is extract from the Tiffin School FAQs which also suggest the same.

'Will this tell me he has a place at Tiffin?
No. The test result will be just that, with information about the qualifying scores in previous years. These may be used as a guide as to whether your son is likely to be offered a place.'

When will I get the test result?
All grammar schools must test and give results before the closing date for the local authority common application form. We expect to be able to provide this by the middle of October at the latest.

Tiffin Girls has following information on FAQs.
'When will I hear what my daughter's score in the Stage 1 selection tests was?
Tiffin Girls' School will post a letter to the parents/carers of all candidates that sat the Stage 1 tests as soon as possible after the test. The letter will give the candidate's score, the mark of the 450th applicant.'

Please note that there is no pass/fail at Tiffins. Hope this helps.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Thank you London_Mum and tiffinboys for your replies.

Just can't seem to make sense of all the small print myself.

Awaiting Friday.. although if the letters are posted, knowing my area it may be Saturday or Monday or Tuesday......?
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

The bottom line when filing in your CAF form is this.

1. Rank the schools in the order that you prefer them.
2. Delete any schools from that list where your son/daughter has not passed the test.
3. Go online and complete your CAF.
4. Wait for March 1st

Simples. There are no games/tactics or reasons not to put the schools down in your preferred order.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now