Timing of open days - why between Kent Test and results?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MMMum

Timing of open days - why between Kent Test and results?

Post by MMMum »

Can anyone tell me what the rationale is for secondary schools holding their open days between the time the children sit the Kent test at the beginning of September and them getting the results mid-October? Surely it would make more sense to hold the open days after the results are known? As it is, you have to visit both grammar and non-selective schools, which is time consming and possibly heart breaking (if a child visits and really likes a grammar, then a few days later finds out they didn't pass..)
doodles

Re: Timing of open days - why between Kent Test and results?

Post by doodles »

There isn't enough time to make such an important decision.

The CAF form has to be handed in by 31st October, and as there is half term too this would mean less than a working week to make such a monumental decision and visit what could be a large number of schools.
MMMum

Post by MMMum »

Well, they could put back the date for the CAF forms then, surely? I just don't see the point of making children and parents view two types of school, when they may only need to see one type...sounds like a system designed to meet the needs of the system, not the people concerned.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Suppose that if your DC takes Kent Test then you are most likely aiming at GS as first choice and then maybe will see a couple of non-selectives as plan B or C.

Mind you after today's antics by KCC I'm not sure about anything :lol: :lol:
DebP

Post by DebP »

I can't see why they don't change the CAF deadline to mid-Nov instead of it conflicting with Half term. How ridiculous.
And why take so long getting results out after the test is taken - and marked by computer.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

collating all the information is a massive task, I'm amazed they manage to get it done in the time anyway.
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

I can't understand why the Grammar schools don't wait until after the results, especially as we have had the situation in Maidstone where a Grammar and Comprehensive managed to have their open evenings on the same night! If the Grammars waited until after the results they would only need to cater for about 25% of the visitors.
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

MGS has it's open evening next week. I can understand comps doing it before but what about the grammars. I guess half term is late this year? Just seems harsh to have to take a child before they then don't pass. We did open evenings together last year then would have done open mornings this. Not sure that is great either though...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now