Invigilation guidelines

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mamageddon

Invigilation guidelines

Post by mamageddon »

Hi all, I'm looking for the invigilation guidelines for the 11+ in Lincolnshire (assuming it's different to anywhere else?), specifically I want to know if invigilators are allowed to reword a question for a student. I was under the impression they were, because when I've invigilated for GCSE and A/AS exams, I was told I could do that provided I don't give the method or answer to the question. Help?
Amber

Re: Invigilation guidelines

Post by Amber »

Gosh I have never heard of that before. Wow. Quite surprised if that is the case, but I am sure someone who knows can say for sure. I thought that exams were generally conducted in silence, end of. And how can anyone know if you have, in your rewording, helped a candidate ? Can of nasty wriggly worms, methinks.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mamageddon

Post by mamageddon »

Reword as in explain what the question means rather than reword as in showing how to get the answer. An example is 2+2= you could say "It means two PLUS two, or two AND two", but you can't say "You have to add the numbers together".

And that's just the guidelines I was given, I guess different examinations officers interpret it differently then.

The reason I'm asking is because my daughter didn't understand an algebra question because nobody had taught her / can also mean divide. I want to know if I can challenge how the exam was administrated based on that.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

mamageddon wrote:Reword as in explain what the question means rather than reword as in showing how to get the answer. An example is 2+2= you could say "It means two PLUS two, or two AND two", but you can't say "You have to add the numbers together".

And that's just the guidelines I was given, I guess different examinations officers interpret it differently then.

The reason I'm asking is because my daughter didn't understand an algebra question because nobody had taught her / can also mean divide. I want to know if I can challenge how the exam was administrated based on that.
but did she actually say that she didn't understand it while she was in the exam hall?
mamageddon

Post by mamageddon »

Yep. She was told by the invigilating teacher that they weren't allowed to help. Which I think is inaccurate.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

I am a GCSE/A Level invigilator for the last 7-8 years. We are not allowed to reword at all. We just read it out again, slowly and that is it. If we think that there is something wrong with the question or the same question is bothering many of the students, we ring the Exam board and ask for clarification and then relay what they tell us. Ever since I started invigilating I have had a DC waiting in the wings to do the 11 plus, so I have never invigilated an 11 plus exam, but knowing the way my school operates, I'm pretty sure they won't be allowed to reword.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I would imagine that the invigilation guidelines for examinations are specific to the particular examinations so what may be permitted in KS2 SATS may well be different from what is permitted in GCSE or A level or in different 11+ exams in different areas. I have not heard of questions ever being reworded for candidates here in Lincs for the 11+.

I am racking my brains to try and remember if I have seen / used to denote divide in NfER-set tests (assuming you are talking about Consortium tests?).

Some of the Grammar schools will allow you to view the test papers. It would be only be significant, however, if the one question meant the difference between reaching the qualifying standard or not and one question will not always equate to a difference of one standardised mark.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi bromley mum

I've been invigilating for four years, from CATS to A levels. I have helped year 7's completing their details (writing their names using initials in boxes!) and read questions through with them slowly. If I have felt the student asking for help in year 7 is really struggling, I have been a little more helpful but never told an answer.

However, for all other exams, I have just read the questions to the candidate who says they don't understand the question.

When asked if I can help them, I have just told them I am not allowed to help them and anyway, which is usually true, I don't know the answer!

I always read the question to them in case there is an error (and there have been errors). The worse subject has to be physics A level!
ginx

Post by ginx »

When I was invigilating yesterday, I had a look at the new Guide for Exams.

Invigilators are not allowed to explain ANYTHING, not a single word, to candidates, but refer them to the front page of the exam sheet which explains the rules.

That's cleared that up!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now