Queens or Rickmansworth?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Confused as well

Queens or Rickmansworth?

Post by Confused as well »

It seems our DD has scored high enough for both schools and although we prefer and have been recommended Rickmansworth from friends it is actually a 15 mile round trip by car and therefore not the easiest location for us.

Queens is much closer and she could get the bus which would give her more independence in due course, however, although the results seem reasonably good, the school did not overly appeal to us when we did both the evening and daytime visits. We just felt is was a bit impersonal and large.

If there is anyone out there who could give any viewpoint/personal experience on either school (good or bad) I would be very grateful.

Many thanks
AlisonR

Re: Queens or Rickmansworth?

Post by AlisonR »

Queens is a large school but children seem to quickly learn their way around the school. The school has 4 houses, two on each side of the school. My DS is currently in year 10 as Queens and for the first three years was mainly taught with children from their house and the other house on the same side as Aldenham Road. These means they mainly mix with only half of their school year which, I think, helps make the school seem smaller. The head of year 7 is also very good at helping the children settle into the school and is always on hand to resolve any issues that crop up.

The school has lots of extra curricular activities (at lunchtime and after school) so children have opportunities to try new activities or continue with their current interests or do no clubs if that is their choice.

We have always found all the staff at the school (support staff as well as teachers) very approachable and helpful when we or my DS have had any issues we needed resolving or just questions answering.

Alison
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Whilst no direct experience of either school I know 4 families with children at Queens and all speak well of it. One has commented that there wasn't much homework but depending on your viewpoint this could be a good or bad thing!

Chosing between 2 good schools is very difficult. Does one of the schools cater better for her interests? Does she have a preference?

The great thing is that it is a lovely position to be in and your child will probably be very happy and do well at either school.
busybeenfun

Post by busybeenfun »

I have a DD in Year 9 at Queens. As mentioned by AlisonR, Queens has a very strong house system which gives the pupils a huge sense of belonging. The head of house takes an interest in all the pupils within their house and provide excellent pastoral care. Importantly they are very approachable for parents and pupils. In year 7, all pupils go on a house residential trip which further develops this bond. We have been very happy with the school. Queens also stream all subjects early on, so students learn at the right pace and are moved throughout the year as appropriate. If you search under posts by Ally and myself, you will additional info.

Rickmansworth was also an option for us and we did like the school. We had to choose between Rickmansworth and Queens because we had SCD as first choice (just missed out on CI list) and we had our local 'banker' as our third choice. We chose Queens in the end for transport and also my DD had 2 routes of entry. Sports and academic. The sports facilities are excellent. She was offered under the Sports criteria (higher ranked rule) but also scored high enough to secure academic place at either Rickmansworth or Queens in the end.

I am sure your DC would thrive at either school. For us logistics was an important consideration.

Good luck with your decision

BBF
decaff

Post by decaff »

If your child is in to performing arts I would go for Rickmansworth. If this is not the case I would go for easier journey to school.
Confused as well

Post by Confused as well »

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. This may come down to the toss of a coin.

Joking of course, but only just!