trust my own instincts?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anotherkentmum

trust my own instincts?

Post by anotherkentmum »

Hi need some help regarding my son! June baby,near end of yr 5, always above average in everything. May test results English reading 4B, writing 4c, maths 4c. His targets were slightly higher for end of this yr but teachers dont seem too worried. To be honest he hasnt worked as hard as he could this year, he has enjoyed coasting along, much more interested in sport and friends. Homework done at the speed of light and he hardly ever reads for fun. :roll:

He will be sitting the 11plus jan 2008 because i know him better than anyone else and i truly believe he can cope with grammer school and that he will gain from it tremendously(if he passes!). I also believe he has a great deal to offer.

However when i asked for his teachers opinion i was told that they didnt know much about the 11plus but it was usually only taken by pupils reaching level 5 by the end of yr 5. Surely this isnt always the case??

I went to grammer school myself at age 13 as it was then and wasnt even aware of the tests i took, i got borderline results but was accepted. I went on to get good GCSE results and 3 very good A levels even though i was not top of the class and spent more time than i should messing around!! :lol:

My concern is that the alternative schools for my son are absolutely terrible as was my alternative school at the time. My instinct tells me that he should go for it but i would like to hear some other opinions. All i want is for my son to have the opportunity to fulfil his potential in the best environment possible. We are just about to start 6 months of practice and he feels confident he can do it i just hope i am not leading him down the wrong path :?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

as you say, you know your son....

If he rushes his work and homework is finished as quickly qas possible, then perhaps he is not achieving his true potential.

If I was in your position I would go for it. You have until January, order some of teh practice books and tests from this site and spend a bit of time each day going through some of them with him.The verbal and non verbal reasoning are like puzzles!

If you don't try you will never know if he could have done it or not. Which bit of Kent are you in?
anotherkentmum

Post by anotherkentmum »

Have already purchased the nfer multiple choice papers, he has had a quick look at them and is actually looking forward to the non verbal(he loves puzzles!)
I am preparing some other materials before we start, revision aids etc his concentration is usually excellent so am hoping to get a lot done over the summer. Particularly bringing him up to target in maths as this is usually his strength.
We are outside maidstone larkfield/malling area so planning on applying for Oakwood park and MGS.
The way i see it is that even if he doesnt make it he will still benefit from the work put into it. I havent made this life or death for him just explained that if this is what he wants to do then he has to put the effort in.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I think you are taking exactly the right approach You aren't pressurising him and the puzzles will help his thinking, which will in turn help all his learning.

I love non verbal reasoning too!

I am in the far corner of Kent, Shepway, both my chidren did the Kent Test with us hovering in the background in a fairly low key manner. Daughter has just left sixth form and my son is in year 9.
bromleymum1

trust your instintcs

Post by bromleymum1 »

My son gained almost those identical SAT scores at the end of year 5. He sat the school's NFER test as well at the end of year 5, and I remember noting that his score was just about 11+ material, but only just. We put him in for the varioius 11+ exans and he secured a place at a super-selective ( does it sound bad if I say I was surprised? ). Trust your instinct, kids rise to a challenge and knowledge is never wasted!
anotherkentmum

Post by anotherkentmum »

Thanks both of you feel so much better now. I know he isnt guaranteed a pass but is anyone??
Also would be interested to know from those who have completed yr 6 how their SAT results compared to end of yr 5 results.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

I was in the same position as you last year. Son had a mixture of 4's and 5's - his maths was also a 4c. His Y5 teacher was very positive and said to go for the tests. However, his Y6 practice tests showed a 'just pass', which I was very dubious about, as this was nothing like the potential that both myself and his tutor could see. He had made very few errors and the standardisation they used was far from the real thing. Schools are told by KCC not to give scores as they come out nothing like the methods they use. In the end he got a high score. Two of the papers were full mark papers but with far more errors than the practice ones, which proves how much pressure they go through on the day. This year, a full score of 140, was on average, around 75-80% of each paper correct. He has ended Y6 with all level 5's. All the way through, I based it on my own instincts. You sound like you know your son well and I would definitely put him in for the tests, especially as he can gain a place with a basic pass.
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi there,

Please do go for it, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain.
Even if, for some reason he does not pass, you still have the fall back position of appeal.

I have just appealed on one mark short, and he was accepted, another parent has just appealed six marks short, and the daughter has been accepted. Failing is not ideal, but its not the end.

Good Luck.......

Cindyx
anotherkentmum

Post by anotherkentmum »

Thanks for all of your encouragement you have inspired me to trust my own judgement a bit more!
When i think back to being ten years old i can hand on my heart say i had nowhere near the amount of knowledge or intelligence that my son has now( he turned 10 last month) and i still went on to enjoy a grammer school education and gain good exam results. Some might say A levels were harder back then, my 3 subjects were not easy ones and all 100% exam on the day, none of these coursework installments etc.
So i have no intention of any practice SAT results influencing my decision on what is best for my sons future.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Good on you!!

I have found this site really helpful. I am sure if you have any queries or worries people on here will be able to help.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now