induction day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
guest36

induction day

Post by guest36 »

hi, i wonder how everyone else's children got on at the induction days? my son went yesterday and loved his school, but he did seem very down last night, i asked why and he only made one friend, i feel so sad for him, i know he is leaving so many friends behind, am i just worrying for nothing, it seems a lifetime ago that i went through this myself, i know i always found it hard to make new friends, i should be happy he is off to a great school, but i do worry!

Post by Guest »

My daughter could not attend her 'official' induction day due to a previously booked (and highly expensive) year 6 school gettaway. She attended the alternative taster afternoon with some other children also going to miss the main one. All the other children knew each other and she cried her eyes out as soon as we left. She is the only one from her school going there. I am sure that it will be ok, but know exactly how you feel. She does not cope well with change and has been so happy at her previous school. Being accepted is so important for them. It is important to be positive and supportive and reassure them that many others will be feeling exactly the same.
perplexed

induction day

Post by perplexed »

I can sympathise and imagine a similar situation arising for my daughter when the time comes.

It makes you wonder if induction days are really a good idea. I suppose they were brought in to ease the transfer from primary to secondary, but for those children (and there must be many) who for whatever reason do not enjoy the induction day, it gives them something concrete to worry about before they actually start.

Perhaps the old fashioned method of just starting on the first day of term works better. Friendship groups change massively at this age, and within a few weeks everyone has someone (or a group) they feel happy hanging around with. My stepchildren's experience is one of a gradual evolution of friendship groups throughout the secondary years, with one's Year 7 best friend possibly not being a particularly close friend at all by Year 10.

Thinking back to my own experience I was probably one of the ones that knew lots of people on the first day of term, and there were many others who knew no-one who would have looked on at those of us that did and felt a bit out of place or sad. But my close friendship group throughout my secondary years was, bar one girl, made up of people I had not known previously at junior school. They were "better" friends as by that age we were making friends with people we had things in common with other than just having been at junior school together.

Hopefully in lessons they will all be completely jumbled up so there is the chance for new friendships to easily form rather than junior school "cliques" remaining together. Also, the shifting from room to room for lessons usually allows more mixing than the primary classroom permits.

I hope your children have put it to the back of their minds and enjoy the summer holiday.
bloguhmastercar

Post by bloguhmastercar »

count ure selves lucky my son didn't make 1 friend!!!!
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

guest36 - I am completely with you! My son seemed a bit down too, (complete with splitting headache!) at the end of his day and couldn't wait to phone his best friend, who had had his induction at another school. His friend's mother later told me that her son was very tired and emotional too and had also wanted to phone my son as soon as he got home. It suddenly hits them that they are leaving a cosy 7 years behind, complete with familiar faces. He even said that he had all the wierd looking ones in his form, which I think was just unfamiliar faces! It doesn't help that he has one other boy coming from his school, who is also in his form, who can at times, be a bit annoying, in a hyper kind of way! But that's life and he did enjoy the day though and tried very hard to talk to as many boys as possible. He thought the lessons were a lot more interesting that what he has now and and particularly enjoyed the lunch! I think the day is a good idea though, even if it makes them a bit emotional. I think he will be less nervous about starting in September.
guest03

Post by guest03 »

my son was only one of two from his school, he was very anxious the night before, but discovered at his local judo club another boy going to DGS, so he was alright with that.

He came out beaming from ear to ear, what a relief, as he is usually so sad and serious.

He got the house we requested, and loved the lunch, mince and pasta,(funny that , never eats that at home)

He said all the boys seem to feel the same as him, nervous and without their usual friends, so he fitted in well.

He liked his tutor, the first time he has ever had a male tutor, so all in all , i feel much better about the whole process and so does he.
guest36

Post by guest36 »

,my son seems a bit happier now, i think it was all too emotional and very strange, he did look so small amongst the older children, even though at his current school he seem so big! and i guess that seems strange to them as well, anyway we bought some of his new school uniform ready, and he seems brighter having spoke to his fellow peers about the induction day! i think he is now just plain bored with juniors and wants to leave, funny how they change in a matter of days!

Post by Guest »

Daughter loved her induction day. Knew no-one going in from her school. I cried, she didn't know. Came out saying that knew various children from gymnastics etc! Very happy but still nervous about next year.
nomorefingernails

Post by nomorefingernails »

My daughter really enjoyed her induction day, it seems to have settled some of the worries she had. I think I was much more worried than she was to be honest :lol: