Transport question

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Oshosh

Transport question

Post by Oshosh »

:D
Last edited by Oshosh on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
topsyturvy

Re: Transport question

Post by topsyturvy »

Wellcome to the forum!

Most questions are answered so scan old posts.

I can only reply the following from my experience:

Does Warrington come within 8 miles radius, as AGGS takes students living closest to school unlike the AGSB(boys school).

Last year the radius was only 6 miles, maybe better for you to move nearer(if possible) to stand a chance!

All the best.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Last edited by Oshosh on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Hi again,

:lol: Easiest will be Maybe go back today and check at the same bus stop :)

I think search for Mayne or Finglands and ring them as they r the main private bus coaches.

BTW the students you might have seen might be from Manchester girls school, Withington and AGSB...I dont think AGGS has any students coming from that far..maybe older girls.

From last 2 years only the closest catchment got into the school (Ofcourse unless the parents have fooled the school- difficult to do!)

All the best!
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

topsyturvy wrote:Hi again,

:lol: Easiest will be Maybe go back today and check at the same bus stop :)

I think search for Mayne or Finglands and ring them as they r the main private bus coaches.

BTW the students you might have seen might be from Manchester girls school, Withington and AGSB...I dont think AGGS has any students coming from that far..maybe older girls.

From last 2 years only the closest catchment got into the school (Ofcourse unless the parents have fooled the school- difficult to do!)

All the best!

thanks will do some ringing today. didnt think it was wise to just to walk over and speak to the kids.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

I think try Mayne warrington they do run a service from warrington retail park.

Also, I meant if you could find the bus stop then maybe see the bus company name. Sorry if offended you!

I am sure someone will reply from nearer warrington soon....
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

[ :D
Last edited by Oshosh on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
traffmum

Post by traffmum »

Yes, Mayne coaches run a bus to Altrincham Grammar Schools. I have 3 children who use them, 1 child at AGSB, my other son goes on the other bus to St.Ambrose and my daughter now goes to Bowdon Prep and has been getting the bus for a year (from the age of 8 years). I think children are pretty adaptable, it is an early morning and harder on dark mornings but they soon get into the routine. Mine haven't experienced any problems, (although my daughter has learnt a few words she may not have come across so soon). The transport is reliable and mine seem to enjoy the social side of travelling with friends. Only difficulties arise if the school finish early. Having said that, there is a number 5 public transport bus that runs to Stockton Heath. Hope this helps. (As others have said, one dilemma is that Altrincham Girls haven't offered out as far as Warrington the last 2 years unless there has been a sibling in zone.)
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Last edited by Oshosh on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Welcome to the forum Oshosh.

I think that you are being a very responsible parent thinking about the logistics of how your daughter would travel to and from AGGS. However, please listen to the advice you have received about the likelihood of getting a place at AGGS from Warrington.

AGSB (Altrincham Boys' Grammar) has an entirely different way of selecting pupils than AGGS (Altrincham Girls' Grammar). It is perfectly likely that you have seen pupils of AGSB in Warrington because they admit boys on the basis of highest score first (once all boys who have passed in a small, local catchment have been admitted).

It is also perfectly likely that you have seen older girls wearing the AGGS uniform in Warrington because, up until about 3 years ago, there seemed to be a fair few each year who got in. However, in recent years, due to increased numbers applying and changes in how AGGS allocate places (which is done purely on distance from the school, and not on score in the exam, other than a bare pass being required and siblings getting preference), the distance from school of the last girl to be admitted has been getting closer and closer to school. This year (ie for 2012 admission) it was 6.2 miles, which doesn't take you as far as Warrington.

Obviously things can change year on year, but please be aware that the chances of getting a place at AGGS from Warrington are very slim.

(Sorry - I have no information on the bus situation!)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now