St Olaves result

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
soundofmusic

St Olaves result

Post by soundofmusic »

Hi All,

Does anyone have any further clarification to the St Olave's result? It's really confusing as even if you got a 'likely to be offered a place' letter , there is a clause at the bottom which state 'this does not equate to a guarantee of an offer'?!

Any help to shed some light on this is much appreciated. Thankyou
hermanmunster

Re: St OLAVES RESULT

Post by hermanmunster »

None of the results come out actually constitute the offer of a place - that happens in March and requires that the school is listed on the CAF.

At this stage it is a case of trying to work out from others with their letters etc as to how high your score / ranks is compared with others nd also previous levels required ot be offered places last year.
soundofmusic

Post by soundofmusic »

That's just it, they don't give you a score nor a rank so all you get is one of 3 options: 'likely' , 'probably' and 'unlikely'. :shock:
Athena

Post by Athena »

I posted this reply in the Results thread

"I would assume that the school would not be allowed to definitely offer any places to any student before National Offer day in March but a likely offer would mean that if you put St Olaves as the first choice on your CAF then you are likely to be offered a place, therefore it would be safe to say that your child has ranked within the top 116 places on offer. A possible offer would mean that your child has just missed the cut off but is ranked quite high in the waiting list and based on previous years waiting list intakes there would still be a chance that your DS would get in if you put the school as first choice on your CAF."

My DS goes to St Olaves and this has been discussed among students/teachers who have younger siblings sitting the test this year and this does seem to be the case. A likely offer equates to your son being ranked among the top 116. Historically St Olaves have never given out test scores except to possible applicants on the waiting list.
soundofmusic

Post by soundofmusic »

Thankyou very much for that, I did not see the other thread.
layla22

Post by layla22 »

I would second Athena's info, except to say- not necessarily the first 116, even on the first round.
There could be some boys who have been ranked 20th, 49th, 99th etc... upto 112 (4 place for choiristers), but because they do not put St O first on their CAF, they are not offered a place.
So that means the ranked offers get pushed along, such that by "allocation day" this year boys ranked upto 130 had been offered a place on the 1st March.
I would assume under the new system this year, these boys fall into the catergory"likely to be offered a place".
The "possilbly" would probably be those ranked from that position thereon- whatever it is for next year.
For those with "possibly"- don't forget that even those offered an initial place do opt for the indie route, or change their minds about their 1st choice, for whatever reason. So do not give up hope!
I was in the same position earlier this year and it was agonising.
I would press the school to find out about your DS's rank position- that would help.
They did give out ranked position about 6-7 years ago and then it changed to allocation day and then it changed again this year!
Good Luck!!
sunny24

Post by sunny24 »

Hello,

Thank you for the information.

Does St Olaves follow any distance criteria during admission process or purely on merit/rank basis?

Thanks
BFal

Post by BFal »

It's purely on merit\ranking
nike1

Post by nike1 »

Hi i'm new on here.

Does anybody know if St Os will tell you where your child is ranked?
BFal

Post by BFal »

No, they won't, I called them yesterday. You'll have to wait till 1st of March, and then you can call for ranking if you wish to know.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now