How do I get a copy of my sons answer paper?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dazel

How do I get a copy of my sons answer paper?

Post by Dazel »

So after an agonising day waiting we get a disappointing result.

My son has missed out by 8 marks. His scores were by far and away the worst they have ever been. We just don't get it when his peers that he has been outperforming have passed.

I have a horrible feeling it may be due to his handwriting........

I would like a copy of his paper, before I consider requesting having it remarked.

How do I do this?
toolate

Re: How do I get a copy of my sons answer paper?

Post by toolate »

My DS's VR scores were also a major never seen before disaster zone (Result 57 - usual score 70+) - was wondering if his pencil marks weren't strong enough or something....would love a re-mark - anyone know if this can be requested?
aang

Post by aang »

My understanding is that you can request a remark from CSSE. I have not heard of anyone successfully gaining a copy of their child's actual paper.

It is usual for scores to be lower in the actual 11+ due to unfamiliar exam environment, the tiring factor of doing three papers consecutively, stress of being the actual exam as opposed to practice, etc.

The scores posted in the other forum contain many scores in the mid and high 70 out of 80 which suggests to me that the VR paper this September was not especially difficult and easier than last year's.
Dazel

Post by Dazel »

There's a drop in score and a nose dive.
I just need to know that he got the answers wrong, and not that someone couldn't read his right answers (there are undying issues).
Suresh

Post by Suresh »

Normally until last year the procedure was (This is a CRGS procedure as they do their own appeals, all the other three Grammar Schools in Essex are done by the Council). This Year i do not know how they would handle it. Personally i think they would not entertain anything until after allocation day.

As we use to get the allocation and the rankings on March 1st, upon not getting the school of our choice we inform the school about a possible appeal.
The first thing they would do is go back and remark the paper and then send a detailed analysis in each subject where the child went wrong ( not question by question, but section by section).
This report they send along with the right to appeal info.

At no point of time we can see the papers. Hope this helps.
campergirl

Post by campergirl »

We are in a similar position. DD VR nose dived from 80%+ to 54%. She did have some VR coaching once a week at school and the teacher there challenged her with harder than 11+ papers.
My fear is that she put one single pencil line through the boxes and not a thicker black mark (like it suggests in the CSSE booklet) so the machine reader has not read it properly.

I am waiting for the results delay to die down and ring the CSSE next week when they are not so swamped with calls. I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm also going to ask them to look at the English as that was 20% down on usual scores so could be a handwriting issue.

I'm hoping her borderline score can be improved before I complete the caf.
campergirl

Post by campergirl »

aang wrote:The scores posted in the other forum contain many scores in the mid and high 70 out of 80 which suggests to me that the VR paper this September was not especially difficult and easier than last year's.
Yes, I was looking at the results from other posters before making my decision. If all the VRs were coming out low then I would have understood but they aren't!!
Dazel

Post by Dazel »

For us, I am more concerned with the Maths and English elements.

I have spoken with the CSSE to request a remark, you need to write to the school in which they sat the exam to request a remark. We have done this and followed with a phone call to ensure they received the email, which they had, and the process has begun.

Am slightly less emotional about the whole thing now.

Am cross that the system is such that I will still now have to put a GS down on the application, purely to be eligible for appeal in march . Am worried that this will compromise my other choices particularly as our catchment school is oversubscribed.
moved

Post by moved »

Your other choices are independent of this. Put your schools on your CAF and they will all treat your son equally with the other applicants.
Chai

Post by Chai »

What happens if after a re-marking, the scores are lower?

Does your original score remain valid?