KES Independent school in Birmingham- Advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mradam

KES Independent school in Birmingham- Advice

Post by Mradam »

Hi,

My DS, has decided he would like to sit the test for this school. He was totally taken in and loved it when being shown around. I have told him if he passes we could only afford it if we got a bursary. Bless him, he totally understands and really does want to give it a go.

The problem is, I have been told the entrance exam is completley different to the other (state) Grammar school entrance exams. Could anyone please tell me what I should be looking at in the tutoring area and something about what to expect in interviews?

Thank you All.
ginobellavia

Re: KES Independent school in Birmingham- Advice

Post by ginobellavia »

Hi,

There is some info on the foundation web site to indicate what it covers.

the main difference is a writing session where they have to produce a piece of creative text. The other areas are probed by standard format questions which get progressively harder.

to practice for this test, look at past papers from other independents. look at Manchester grammar, peirsle (?) and haberdasher aske schools. They have past papers online and we used these for practice. I believe that the harder questions are there to enable KES to identify scholarship potential.

also, check out assisted places scheme as this is the major way to have reduced fees.
Mradam

Post by Mradam »

Hi Ginobellavia

Many thanks for your reply. Is there any Nvr in the kes?

If you know any good tutors please pm. Thanks once again.
ginobellavia

Post by ginobellavia »

look at http://kes.interaweb.com/howtoapply.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for content.
only some NVR might have been included in the maths papers but nowhere near like the GS papers.
For KES you need to focus on the English and Maths as these are what I think differentiate children in the eyes of the school.
As I said the English comprises a writing task. We set our kids the task of finishing a story and having to do a good page and a half, with neat writing and good use of vocabulary as well as being creative. KES likes to have children that show a spark of some sort, but all the other stuff has to be good as well.

Cant help with tutors but as someone else has commented, if you are applying now then might be best just doing DIY as I did and use those past papers plus writing practice.

ps our kids are at KES in year 7 and they love it.
NASA

Post by NASA »

Hi Mradam,

We too are looking at sitting the test. At the open day the chief master said they would be 3 elements:

Maths - this will consist of 3 section, part 1 easy, part 2 middleish, part 3 is really hard and what determines the scholarships.

English - comprehension and essay writing, they look for complete sentences and for the essay part they give a topic and you have to write about it. They are just looking for good grammar, punctuality and vocab. Oh and the writing must have structure.

VR - nfer type stuff ( he also said we don't give too much attention to this section).

He then when on to explain how 1 child did very badly at his English and vr but in the maths section was very good. In his interview he showed determination and passion and that's why they took him on :) he is now reading maths at Oxbridge!!

They gave some practice questions on their website.

Hope this helps, good luck
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now