Bournemouth School for Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sleepless

Post by sleepless »

Researching info for a friend. Does anyone know the sort of percentage marks required for the above school. Equally, does anyone know last year's cut off mark.

There doesn't seem to be anybody out there from Bournemouth or Dorset areas?

Bournemouth School Cut off Mark

Post by Guest »

I too would appreciate knowing what marks entrants achieved in the exam to get into BSB.

I have heard on the (possibly entirely incorrect) grapevine, that children getting 97% correct didn't get into the school because the scores generally were so good.

Anyone know anything further?
sleepless

Post by sleepless »

I don't think anyone in the area can be reading this site. Someone would know wouldn't you think?
Bournemouth

Post by Bournemouth »

You're kiddin! 97%!!

Well, I was quite hopeful but my child gets in the 80's in practise tests.

All we know is that it's the top 16% in the area which is pretty tough compared to other areas I believe.

Now you're making me nervous...
sleepless

Bournemouth Boys

Post by sleepless »

Do let us know how your son gets on and good luck for the allocation.

Would still be interested to know what the lowest required pass mark was this year, if you or anyone else knows.
Bournemouth

Post by Bournemouth »

Postman just arrived!

He did it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For info, he was scoring 50-60% in the NFers and others when we first started 6 months previous to the exams. Slowly went up to upper 70s and then finally hit the 80s in the weeks running up.

I saved a Nfer maths and VR paper for the last week before the tests and he got 90%(!!) VR and 78% Maths (silly mistakes) and 82% in an English paper he had already done months before but I don't think he remembered any questions.

He's a young one (end of July birthday) but from what I've read the adjustments account for a 6% spead across the 12 months (very rough estimate) (which is just 3 questions of course in a 50 question test).

I thought I'd cry when I got the results but I haven't yet ! Just screamed the house down.

Can't wait to tell him! :D :D :D
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

Well done Bournemouth. My child too was hitting around 80's but must have really pushed the boat out on the actual day as they also got into first choice grammer. It just goes to show they do not have to be constantly getting 90's. In fact I know a child that was pushed and pushed, parents thought he was guaranteed a place, never got less that 98% in practice, but did not pass.
Bournemouth

Post by Bournemouth »

Yes. I thought he had pushed the boat out on the day as his first words when I picked him up were "Easy...I think I'm in"!
He had one spelling he wanted to check with me, ('suprise'), and 2 maths questions, so I thought the fact that he could pin point the questions he had difficulty with was a good sign.
Also he enjoyed the essay and said he wanted to go on writing (very unusual!!)
HP

Post by HP »

Well Done Bournemouth :D to your son.

Did he scream as loud as you did when you told him? :lol: :lol: :lol:

HP
Bournemouth

Post by Bournemouth »

He was in an inter-school maths quiz which didn't finish until 5 o'clock so I drove up there and gave him the letter. His face was pink with aniticipation when I arrived. We had to tone down the celebration as we weren't sure whether his friends had got a place though. His little face was a picture, big bright eyes - he was chuffed to bits.