Anybody know anything about Birkenhead Academy??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kittykat92

Anybody know anything about Birkenhead Academy??

Post by kittykat92 »

My daughter failed Upton Hall entrance exam and seeing as this exam is (supposedly) easier than the the 11+ for Wirral we have resigned ourselves to the fact that she is unlikely to pass Wirral 11+ (despite always scoring really high on practice papers too). :( :(

My daughter is asking to sit the non-verbal reasoning test for Birkenhead Academy so I was wondering if anybody knew anything about this school as I know nothing except it used to be a fee paying and now its not! I have found a couple of threads on here from last year so just wanted to know if anybody had any more upto date info. The threads mentioned a lot of girls had left so wondered if this was because standards had dropped etc?
Bati

Re: Anybody know anything about Birkenhead Academy??

Post by Bati »

i dont know anything about Birkenhead high so i cant help you sorry. The only thing i can suggest is to go on their website/ofsted report -find out what there exam results are like.
Maybe phone them to see if you can go and look around.
Please dont right off the wirral 11+ till you actually get the results. Your dd did really well on her practice ones and when sitting the exam was used to those type of questions. Upton Hall had simular questions but also slightly different ones which could of thrown your dd on the day. I wish you and your dd the best of luck ***
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Hi I can give you a rundown on BHSA.

Until about 4 years ago it was an independent selective school. It then became one of the first academies without fees and without selection. This did lead to a significant change in the school with many leaving ( to BS) but also others joining from local comps/primaries etc.

It is smaller than most schools and is in the middle of a (never ending) building programme. It tends to attract those who fail the 11+ (as it is not selective), are particularly keen on single sex and also a more intimate environment. Some of the independent school ethos still remains and this attracts some, although many teachers have left/retired.

Personally I would never choose it over the Grammar or independent Schools but I would rate it highly as a non-selective option on Wirral (above Prenton, Pensby and Weatherhead say)

Feel free to PM me
cagney40

Post by cagney40 »

Our daughter is in year 8 at the school and we have been delighted with it. She didn't take the 11 Plus but we have found the school stretches her academically, has a superb extra curricular offering and she is happy and fulfilled there.
The 'never ending' rebuild is due for handover in January.