financial implications of 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
eleven

financial implications of 11+

Post by eleven »

A friend of mine asked me to quantify the financial implication of doing/passing the 11+, i think this is the forum to get as close an estimate as possible.

Please include the fees on an independent school if you had to send your DC there in the last year or last two years to enable them.

Basically, this is what I am looking for:

Independent education = £
Tuition = £
Books =£

I know there are some areas that are not easily quantifiable e.g time and travel. However, if you are able to do this please include them.
moved

Re: financial implications of 11+

Post by moved »

If you buy Bond, Schofield and Simms, the GL assessment packs, the CSSE past papers and then write some papers yourself that should give you a suitable bill.

There are lots of free independent papers to download too.

Of course, your own time also has to be factored in. It doesn't have to be expensive.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Independent School fees in the area vary from £11,000 per year to £15,000 per year.
Just looking

Post by Just looking »

My D has attended a state school and only had
11 weeks tutoring at a cost of approx £500 inclusive
of books and 2 mock exams she took.
( This was more to teach her the process of an examination
and coding for VR)
I don't want parents of future C wishing to take this
selective exam to feel they need to remortgage or sell
their first born.

If you child is bright and has a keenness to learn
It will happen.

My D passed, yes passed. ( even it was her lowest score)
A proud father.
mclm

Post by mclm »

I would agree this can be a cheap exercise. I probably spent £50 max per child on Bond books and past papers (although have been able to reuse most so cost for one child would perhaps be slightly more.) No paid tutoring & attended a state school that don't do any prep.

On the other hand, I have heard of people paying £40 ph for tutoring for a year, however this is anecdotal and others on the forum may be able to advise on tutor costs.

Of course, now that they are at GS, I pay just under £1,000 each per annum on bus fares.

Essentially, the 11+ can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be.
hopingforcrgs

Post by hopingforcrgs »

Hello eleven,
We estimated about £1000 for extra tuition at £30 per hour. Started ad hoc just over a year before the exam. Individual one hour sessions to start, then small group 2 and half hour weekly ones (same price). Tutoring costs may now be nearer to £40 though.
DS also went to very local indie which cost £3k per term.
Book costs mimimal as he was tutored and VR & tests also done at school.
Did he need the tutoring? Extra insurance and not much cost in the big scheme of things.
We were in the position that indie primary was budgeted for (savings),but secondary indie cost was prohibitive. (£6k per term with travel).
DS gained a secure place at CRGS, as well as a good all round education at indie plus lots of competive sports experience.
Transition has been easy for him as he was already used to different teachers for different subjects, moving classrooms, homework every night, rugby etc. For me, no comparison to the local primary.

By the way, is your DD doing the travel to Colchester or did you change your mind?
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Hopingforcrgs - thanks for the post. We have followed a similar route, taken some capital we had saved and are spending it on indie schooling until end of Year 6. We cannot possibly afford anything after that hence aiming for CRGS with two DSs. We are home tutoring DS who is currently in Year 5, the GL assessment packs are great. Lots of free papers out there, apps for vocab building etc. I am actually really enjoying it at the moment. DS has signed up to a study plan on the wall with rewards for targets reached along the way. Hopefully it will all pay off.
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

Looked at another way, what are the costs of 5 to 7 years of indie secondary education if the local comprehensives are non starters? That was a rhetorical question. The answer is much much more than indie primary

However I agree with others that you don't need to spend a lot on prep or to have gone to an indie primary - some do and some don't
Mamonaku

Post by Mamonaku »

My DS passed the Kent 11 plus and we are waiting for results for super selectives in London.

Regarding the cost implications he has never been tutored and attends a state primary school. I bought approximately 6 sets of NVR papers, 4 sets of VR papers and some maths and English papers online and I'd estimate the total cost to be around £150 but I didn't buy them all at once.

He started doing practice papers from April this year.
eleven

Post by eleven »

Thanks Guys. I suppose it depends on the child and other variables (Super selective, extra insurance etc). From those I know (in london) the average is around £5k excluding fees for indie.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now