should we appeal - smudges on answer sheet!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
NatalieT

should we appeal - smudges on answer sheet!

Post by NatalieT »

Our daughter, who finished Yr5 with 5C in Maths and is now selected in her primary as a high achiever in the subject to follow lessons in KS3 Maths, did the Bexley 11+ this past September. Both test days she was VERY pleased and she usually either underestimates her performance or is realistic enough. She received a total score of 203 (217 being the qualifying lowest standardized score). We do understand that perhaps the level was unusually high, however she said that not only she had to erase some of the initial answers on the answer sheet, but she also did not have time to erase some, albeit light, circles she made on there -as reminders for her to review a couple more questions at the end. Knowing that she can be quite forceful (!) when marking answers, and no amount of warning has changed her ways, we are concerned that the computer did not properly read her answer sheet and she may well have missed at least a couple of marks (pre-standardization). A preliminary talk with the deputy-head at our primary informed us that they believed she was indeed of selective standard and will support us in our appeal. Has this happened before, is it worth the effort to appeal and how long could it take to have the tests re-marked by a person rather than a machine? Any answers would be much appreciated!
Etienne

Re: should we appeal - smudges on answer sheet!

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

There are two separate issues here.

First of all, you need to ask the LA if they will do a manual re-mark, how much it would cost (if anything), and how long it might take. It's rare for errors to be found, though.

Secondly, you can appeal for a place after you've been formally refused at the beginning of March. Your case would depend on alternative evidence of very high ability:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and reasons for wanting a place:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
NatalieT

Post by NatalieT »

Thank you for your reply! I still need to talk to the Headteacher (only spoke to deputy) who will probably know if the manual re-checking of the paper is possible. I understand I can at least request to see the test itself- then again this is based on what I have heard from other parents.
The error would stem from the poorly erased signs, circles and marked answers which were then rejected by my dd. This can cause the computer to "see" two answers instead of one and reject the whole thing as wrong. Presumably, a human can see what is hastily erased and what is actually marked as an answer. Just to clarify: do you mean I can ask the LEA for a remarking, and if I get formally refused, then I can appeal? I was given the impression I need to appeal now to have it remarked anyway.
Thanks in advance for what further comments you may have. :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The word 'appeal' is best kept for a statutory appeal against a decision not to admit your child to a particular school!

I don't know how your LA deals with re-marks, but I was trying to point out that a statutory appeal is a completely separate matter.

Since the allocations will not be made until the beginning of March, you cannot submit an appeal for the school you want until after that date.

Hope that helps.

Good luck
Etienne
NatalieT

Post by NatalieT »

Dear Etienne,
Thank you so much for this last clarification, your expertise and for your time. Now I understand: appeals are directed at specific schools, not the LEA/exam board. That's probably a relief! At this point I have no intention of appealing, but I certainly want to clarify that the paper was marked correctly, despite the unfortunate pencil markings. I'll definitely post if there is any progress.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now