Dartford Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mama H

Dartford Grammar

Post by Mama H »

Hello All,

Does anyone know what the required scores were for Darford Grammar for Boys last year? Since the scores have now 423 I assure they would have to add an additional three to the required scores to take this into account.

Thanks
Blametheparents

Re: Dartford Grammar

Post by Blametheparents »

On first allocation the score went down to 414 last year. Think it went a bit lower after all the chaos of March 1st settled down!

I don't think that you are right that you will need to add 3 to this score to get the equivalent score for this year though.
The extra scores of 421, 422 and 423 are merely designed to separate out all of the 420s that would otherwse have been scored.
Therefore, there are no more children getting 420, 421, 422 and 423 - more that those who would have got 420 now have the possibility of being awarded a higher mark.
skip202

Post by skip202 »

I believe if you are in Zone A Dartford Electoral wards than a pass should be good enough. We live in Dartford council but unfortunately not in Zone A and therefore deemed OOC :-(. DS did really well scoring 409 with no score lower than 136 but not sure if it will be good enough?

OOC cut off scores (I hope these are right?)
2010 = 395
2011 = 411
2012 = 414

As you can see scores going up every year with more and more boys coming from SE London and getting in which will be the same again his year hence lots of pressure on scores.

I think these scores might of dropped a bit on appeal but every thing I have read (including Peter's website) indicate that this years cutoff will go higher for 2013 entry. Maybe 2017/2018? Who knows until 1st March?

I think our 1st choice has always been Gravesend Grammar but is DGS worth a punt? Any advice would be much appreciated?
Blametheparents

If you would really like DGS for your son, then put it down.
The order that you put the scores on your form cannot prejudice your application for the school you put in 2nd place.
I don't think 409 will be high enough to get in on first allocation, but I guess it all depends on how much you might be prepared to go for appeal after that?

Tough decision.

My son is at DGS and loves it, he has friends at GGS and they love it too!
Sorry, that's not much help!
skip202

Post by skip202 »

Thanks. My nephew is in his last year at GGS and he has loved it. I know quite a few people who have boys their and they like it also so it has been my first choice. I know DGS school is good as well but don't know too many people their.

I thinkI now have three schools penciled in for the SCAF and 4th a choice between
1) Dartford Boys = score problem for OOC may be just too low
2) Wilmington Boys = on edge of catchment area (New Barn, Longfield)
3) Rochester Maths = passed Medway test but also problem with catchment area

No order yet but probably Gravesend boys 1st choice.

Decisions decisions and then another long wait to allocation day!
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

skip202 don't forget that numbers on the roll have fallen again this year in Medway and according to the numbers on Peter's site, only 278 Medway boys (plus 124 Kent boys) passed the Medway exam. As you'll know lots of the Kent boys won't apply for a Medway place.

My point is that the distance might go out a bit further this year, so it is worth a try.
Blametheparents

It sounds as if you will be fine for GGS catchment - good luck!
skip202

Post by skip202 »

Thanks. We are going to see the schools next week with Rochester Maths on Tuesday morning.
Thanks Samlet I did read that on Peter's website and it was very interesting reading. On that premise I'm tending towards Rochester Maths over DGS and Wilmington and will speak to them on Tuesday about distance etc. Hopefully we will like the school (I'm sure we will).
Mama H

Post by Mama H »

Can someone please give me the link to Peter's website that has been referred to in this section.

Thanks
raymae

Post by raymae »

Hi ... Mama H ... Did you get the link to peters website? Id like it too :D