Changes to preference form... Am I allowed?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bontilo

Changes to preference form... Am I allowed?

Post by bontilo »

Hi all. Firstly, congratulations to all the parents and children. Thanks for your time reading my concern, really hoping you could help me.

I have made an online application and listed down our school preferences even before the results came out. My daughter did 213 on KEGS and based on historical pass mark, she's eligible to go to Sutton. On my preference form, I've put down CHS as 1st, Handsworth 2nd and Sutton was my 3rd, FW as 4th and 2 local school. This is based on the family's, including my daughter's choice of school aswell as straight distance. We are nearest Handsworth (about 4 miles), and farthest Sutton, but only for about 0.1 something mile and FW being 6 miles far from us. I was wondering if I would be allowed to make changes to the preference form,making Handsworth as 1st, Sutton 2nd and Camphill 3rd and making the rest as local girls school.

It says on the website, changes are only allowed with a valid reason. Is getting the Consortium result considered as valid?

Thank you very much and kind regards!
hermanmunster

Re: Changes to preference form... Am I allowed?

Post by hermanmunster »

i am not sure - you can only ask . :?

- though as you have the list at present it is:

CH
HS
Sut
FW
local
local

if she doesn't get CH then that will be disregarded and HS will become her first choice and Sutton second .. is that what you would want? if so is there any need to change the CAF?
bontilo

Post by bontilo »

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I think I got your point. :)

I guess even though I know that my daughter have passed, I can't brushed off the thought of it being borderline for Sutton. I would have wanted to at least scrap five ways or camphill and replace it with another.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Are the local schools ones you are likely to get a place at ? What are their criteria ? So long as you have a good chance there then hopefully no need to add a third.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I can't see how Admissions can really deny you the opportunity to change your preferences if you want to. The deadline is still 2 weeks away, and many people won't have submitted their preferences yet. Effectively they would be penalising you for having submitted your preferences early.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Birmingham sound like they are doing people a favour letting them apply as late as Oct 31st! They want applications by Oct 1st if poss :evil:

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satelli ... rmode=live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree that you should be able to change up until the last minute poss in Oct 31st
bontilo

Post by bontilo »

Thank you all for your kind advice. I can't get through the LEA by phone but have sent them an email inquiring. Thanks!
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

You will have to check if anything has changed but I am pretty sure that last year there were people tweeking their online applications until the last day. Have you tried logging on and having a go?

For DS1 I put down what must have been considered some unrealistic choices because they sent me a letter after I submitted my online form saying that if I wanted to discuss or change any of my choices choices I had until the 31st October to do so - ok, it was mid-November by the time I actually got their letter :roll: but you get my point.

UmSusu
UmSusu
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

B'ham will allow you to change your preferences even after the 31st. :!:

We were in a dilemma a couple of years ago about our school preferences in that dh lived in Essex and our dc and I, lived in B'ham.

It was only after we submitted our online application form that we discovered that we could have also included an Essex gs. So we submitted a paper application to include the Essex gs on time (and this paper form had the effect of nullifying our previous online one).

But because of our family circumstances etc, we wanted to make further alterations to our choices. Anyhow, the admin over the phone suggested to us that even though the deadline had passed, they would allow us to make changes as long as we send it in writing (which we did). They also confirmed our changes in writing and that was the end of that! I know B'ham lea must have felt that we were a very indecisive family :oops: but they were very accommodating. :)